Yamaha F70 vs Suzuki f70 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
EndTuition
Life is good on the bayou..

EndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to Pirate
Yamaha F70 vs Suzuki f70

So I foolishly purchased a boat that was not really set up right. I attributed the poor hole shot to being over propped. Paid the man, brought the boat home, talked to Dargel and a few prop experts only to find the prop is probably not the problem. Dargel sells this boat with a F70 Suzuki and claims it is plenty fast and jumps up as expected. I have a F70 Yamaha, and its a dog. Some say the Yami is just that much weaker on the low end and my only option is go to a very low pitch prop. Others say the two motors are rated the same and one should act pretty much as the other. The prop Dargel recommends is a powertech CFF 4 blade 16 inch pitch. I ordered a CFF 4 blade 15 inch, and the motor will not even get the boat up. Wont go over 3400RPM. The boat came with a powertech 3 blade 13 inch pitch and it will get up, but takes a football field in length to do it, then only gets to 5200RP and about 21MPH.

Original owner says the boat has always been slow to get up, one reason I figured it was a prop issue, not a motor issue.
The motor has only 29 hours on it. It starts easy, runs quiet and smooth, idles fine and revs up in neutral to the rev limiter just fine.

So... I'm looking for input from other Dargel 140 owners, or boats similar, on what they are experiencing with their motors. I know the boat is not under powered as 75hp is the max for this hull. I don't think the motor is the problem but sure as heck can't figure out why it wont turn the correct prop.

I have the prop in the shop getting it turned down to an 11, but that's just not right and I know the boat is still going to be slow to get up and slow to run.
Turning to the brain trust for your thoughts...
Spare me the comments about buyer be ware. I'm not blaming anyone but me and don't need life lessons or advice regarding that mistake. Its done and I'll deal with it.
EndTuition is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Have the hull weighed...
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
Mini-x Fan
Take em boys

Mini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to Pirate
I have a 140 Skout with a Johnson 70 2-stroke. I have a 4 blade Powertech 13 X 14P prop. The boat pops right up on plane and will run in the low 30 mph range with just me on it.
Mini-x Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
EndTuition

EndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to PirateEndTuition has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks. Useful info.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
Have the hull weighed...
This...concern is that foam has soaked up a bunch of water. How old is hull? You had motor checked? Dargel guys should not be far off on the recommended prop. Something else, maybe bad, is going on IMO.
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
EndTuition

Going to send dargel a pic of boat in the water. Seems to be sitting like others I can find pics of but they will know for sure. I also plan to weight it next week when the local dump opens up. What's making this all complicated is the previous owners assertion that this is wow it's always been since it was delivered to him. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
EndTuition

Boat and motor are 2015.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
would be shocked if 2015 hull was wet.
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to Pirate
Something other than the prop is off. A 70 will get a 14’ dargel on plane no problem. You’ve either got a hull or motor issue. I’d suspect that a 13-15” prop is in the neighborhood and should be getting you in the high twenties at the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #10
cclayton01
Registered Users-pm+

cclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Pirate
Do a compression check on the motor.
cclayton01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message