Ecoboost 355 or 373 rear end? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
DA REEL DADDY
Registered Users-pm+

DA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to Pirate
Ecoboost 355 or 373 rear end?

I have been looking in getting a new Ford Echboost too. I tow a 19' bay boat regularly, but not far, (maybe a trip a year from Houston to Mansfield) and a 16' trailer with two four during deer season. Like everyone else on here too probably.

If I buy another travel trailer in the future it will be under 25', but that is a BIG maybe.

With little towing I do y'all still think it would be beneficial to purchase with the higher 3.73?

What maybe the MPG between the 3.55 and 3.73
DA REEL DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
C.Hern5972
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom

C.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to PirateC.Hern5972 has been promoted to Pirate
i have the 3:55 in mine. numbers posted in other posts. ill have to search
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
JFolm
Unorthodox Millenial

JFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to Pirate
What will 80% of your driving be? City/highway?
JFolm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
DA REEL DADDY
Registered Users-pm+

DA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to PirateDA REEL DADDY has been promoted to Pirate
80% will definitely be city more small town, if that is city and driving from Fort Bend to coast.
DA REEL DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
ReelWork
Registered Users-pm+

ReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to Pirate
Go 3.73 if you have the choice. My previous f150 had 3.55s and while it was decent towing, after I bumped the tire size up a size and towed some heavier loads I found the truck to be a little anemic (due to the gearing). So do yourself a favor, you already have possible plans for a larger RV and who knows what else...lean forward a little and get the 3.73's - you won't regret it.
ReelWork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
TheGoose
Registered Users-pm+

TheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to Pirate
I have 3.55's and I'm not pleased with my gas mileage (15-16 combined). I think that for pure highway driving the 3.55's are better but maybe the 3.73's are better for combined. I know that sounds opposite of the truth but I think that maybe the 3.73's allow the engine to get up to it's "sweet spot" easier.

I've often wanted to see what it would cost to swap to 3.73's but never have checked into it.
TheGoose is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Gottagofishin
Roll Tide!

Gottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to Pirate
I have the 3.73 and do a fair amount of towing. The 19 ft bay boat will be no problem at all.

I tow 6000-7000 lbs regularly, and I just lock out 6th gear on the heavy loads. It's basically the final drive equivalent of a lower speed rear end. With 6th locked out it runs at about 2200 rpm at 75 (which is nothing for a gas engine). The tranny runs cooler because it isn't downshifting on hills and it actually gets better gas mileage since the engine isn't lugging.

If you towed heavier loads most of the time, I would say the lower speed rear. But you don't so get the 3.73 and just lock out 6th when you get your TT.
Gottagofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
fireguy
Registered Users-pm+

fireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfireguy has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
On other forums I have read the 3.73 behind the ecoboost gets terrible fuel mileage, here you guys state not so, i've also read the 3.55 is the way you want to go for pulling and for fuel mileage. Confused on this issue, but i don't own one you guys do, and i'm considering getting one, things that make you go hmmm.....
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
paragod
Registered Users-pm+

paragod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirate
I shopped that truck real hard when I was buying last yr I chickened out and got another diesel but was going toward the 3.73 rear end. Since I do tow a lot and from what I was told that rear end comes in the max tow package and it was hard to find. It will get low MPG I did get the 3.73 in my current truck and get about 3-4 mpg less than co worker with a 3.45 rear end same truck.
paragod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
louie870
Registered Users-pm+

louie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunnerlouie870 has been promote to Gunner
I just bought one, 4x4, ecoboost with the 3.55 rear end. I only have 530 miles on the truck but back and forth to houston a couple of times and city driving Im averaging around 16.5-17.7 mpg. If I reset the lie-o-metter while doing 75mph down the highway, it stays right at 19.5mpg. I have not pulled anything with it yet.
louie870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message