2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

City of San Antonio Sick and Safe Leave Benefits

5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Carp-enter 
#1 ·
I know most of you here do not live in SA, but Austin attempted to pass this and a group of business's filed suit and it was ruled against:
An appellate court ruled in November that Austin’s sick leave ordinance violates the Texas Constitution by running contrary to the Texas Minimum Wage Act. The appellate court issued an injunction preventing the ordinance from going into effect.

Now the city of San Antonio decided to restructure their legislation and resubmitting their San Antonio Sick and Safe Leave Benefits ruling on this next month to force all business to enact this City legislation.

This will hurt my business as well as many others I have spoken to.
Sorry if this is long winded, and I usually try to stay out of politics, but I don't think it is right for a city to legislate policies to Business's and their Employees, Especially requiring employers to pay employees 56 hours a year for mental health days.

This should be a State and Federal issue.

#4 ·
What better way to kill San Antonio's economy than to force businesses to do things that hurt their business.

Here's what happens, they leave.

They told Amazon to kick rocks. Now say what you want about the company and their political stance but a bunch of jobs were left on the table by SA pulling out of the bidding. Jobs that pay people who in turn spend their money they earned. This was a corporate HQ if I remember correctly. Not minimum wage people.

Then they went and painted more rainbow crosswalks... And took down a couple statues and changed a couple school names, kicked chick fil a out of the airport, I can keep going. Dont get me started on the gun buy back.

Thank God I don't live or work there, but it's getting too close to home.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I've lived here for 39 years. It's so hard to stomach what these flunkies at the city are doing. Earlier in the year they stone walled Chick-fil-a from opening up in the airport. If you've every been to our airport you would know it's pretty much a dump. I fly twice a week and this would've been a very welcome addition for me and the other millions of people that walk through here. Of course, because of their conservative politics they were blocked. Today they announced they would be giving away a coupon for a free pizza for every gun that was turned in. This is embarrassing for Texas.

#6 ·
Welcome to my world. The liberal migration has changed the swing so far left - to me it’s as bad as Austin, if not worse. I lived in Austin 15 years and have been in SA for 21. The California immigrants are buying the real estate up on the NW side - I live here - not impressed.

#7 ·
These are all dead on points. Like I stated, I normally stay out of politics but these political whanabes are out of control. I dont get to vote because I dont live in the city, but I am thinking about making my first local political contribution.

I like Chick Fila and think they would have been a positive addition to the airport.
Chief of Police said the gun buy back will do nothing to curb gun violence or crime in SA. SA City council is smarter and knows better and is doing it anyway!
Turned away Amazon HQ, saying they dont need to give away the farm, its not our style, this stance after Ted Cruz and John Cornyn pushed and promoted Texas to Amazon.

Sanctuary City, Don't get me started.

One of way too many closed door sessions, last one was refusal to bid to host Republican National Convention of 2020.

What a joke.

#16 ·
These are all dead on points. Like I stated, I normally stay out of politics but these political whanabes are out of control. I dont get to vote because I dont live in the city, but I am thinking about making my first local political contribution.

I like Chick Fila and think they would have been a positive addition to the airport.
Chief of Police said the gun buy back will do nothing to curb gun violence or crime in SA. SA City council is smarter and knows better and is doing it anyway!
Turned away Amazon HQ, saying they dont need to give away the farm, its not our style, this stance after Ted Cruz and John Cornyn pushed and promoted Texas to Amazon.

Sanctuary City, Don't get me started.

One of way too many closed door sessions, last one was refusal to bid to host Republican National Convention of 2020.

What a joke.
And there is the problem. Too many good people don't got involved.

#8 ·
I’ve been watching this close BlackJ and no, it’s not freakin cool at all. We’ve got mid 50 ish employees and almost 40 are hourly. I’ve ran the numbers and these dumbass libs have no clue what it will cost the small guys like us, with that said I’d hate to be one of the big boy construction companies. It’s ridiculous. Most all of the hands are liking what they are being told by some that know about this. I’ve got some angles that may clear us off this ******** though, I hope.

#9 ·
It has been 35 years since I was an hourly employee without benefits and I don't support any law that requires employers to provide any benefits whatsoever for hourly, low level employees. Those crappy jobs were my incentive to go to school, learn how to do things that get, and keep me in a relatively high paying job that comes with a salary and benefits. Give them $15/hour and benefits and they won't ever have incentive to better themselves.

And for those grunts who limped through high school, damning the teachers, skipping school, getting high on campus, saying stuff like, "I ain't never gonna need math or English," never trained to do anything or learn any craft and then treated their early employment opportunities like they were owed a job, I'd say "the chickens have come home to roost"

#12 · (Edited)
Lmao! Oh dude you are so far off I’m literally laughing, you don’t get the system that’s construction meaning what some of the job jumpers do. Again SOME like to drink to much beer on Sundays which means... yea, a paid I was going to call in hang over day anyway. Not all but SOME, few for me now but it used to be worse after culling those the last 15 years. These are the same ones that will just up and leave after the AG catches up with them and sends us back child support docs. Anyway about me not giving a **** about them, I’ve got about 15k cash out in loans to my employees at any given moment 365 at zero percent interest course and I’ve done that for years. Co-signed personal on a couple of vehicles out right now. Down payments on homes to help improve area for the their family/kids more than a couple of times that I called gifts. And these are all hourly employees , not any of the salaried outside of our accounting lady. Way more that I don’t need to convey as you really don’t get it anyway. Most have insurance that I pay most of and no it’s not mandatory to do so. Bought a pretty dam new Lexus SUV for our newish books lady many months ago to use as a company car because her old truck kept breaking down and she lives about 50 miles away from the office as I do. She cried as she was floored that no other company she’s worked for has done anything like that, she’s part of our family now the last almost year. I’m going to assume you have Beto sign in your front yard. Good for you.

#11 ·
Value employees greatly!
Under this policy it costs the company productivity. There are two ways to make money. More profit and lower costs. This policy makes higher cost for lower productivity for the employer. Therefore they have to lower there costs somewhere. Under this policy they will have to fire people to keep costs low enough to make up for the lower productivity. This policy forces owners to fire people.

#22 ·
He has an A&M edumication and a thesis in finding a Suga Mama
Too funny.... truth.
When employees show up with their eyes popping out of their head and full dedicated to the company anyway they don't need to ask for a day off. When employees would give all for the company and take care of their assignments they can do whatever they want.

These types of policies will only benefit the cruddy guys you can't wait to replace. Your great guys are part of the team and don't need these policies. As Texashookset illustrated great employees get perks policies can't mandate. Losers need these type of mandates to find their safe place. Pathetic.

#31 ·
My daughter, Jighead Jr., lives in California and her company has no PTO. That's right...none. The deal is you can work as much or as little as you want as long as the work gets done. If she has everything done she needs by Wednesday at noon she takes the rest of the week "off", still getting paid. May answer e-mails or get on a call, but otherwise completely screwing off! The other side of the coin is, like this week, worked all day Sunday with her team getting ready to travel Monday morning for a presentation in another town. She has worked 16-17 days straight (I know...sad_smiles) but then takes two weeks off. If the work doesn't get done though...adios!

She also got 26 weeks leave when Jighead III was born, half of it paid!

kids these days...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.