Youth Bow Suggestions - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
TXPalerider
We all have it coming......

TXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to Pirate
Question Youth Bow Suggestions

A thread posted earlier by Whitey got me to thinking about Christ-mas presents for my 12 year old son. He's been asking for a bow and I was thinking this might be a good idea.

Here's some pertinent info:

12 years old
5'1"
140 lbs

What do you think would be the ideal bow for a boy this size?
Assuming you think a youth bow is best:What are the advantages in buying a youth bow vs an adult bow with the draw weight turned down? In otherwords, why a youth vs adult?
How long would a youth bow last before he outgrew it?
Does it make more sense to buy a less expensive youth bow, because he'll outgrow it? His younger brother is 10 years younger.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Shaky
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Shaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to PirateShaky has been promoted to Pirate
I would look into a Matthews Genesis. It has a reduced draw weight with no let off, which means there is no set draw length. It is an awesome starter bow that he can grow into and you can customize with all the goodies as you see fit. I am pretty sure you can bump the draw weight up when hes ready so he can use it as a hunting bow, just not real sure of that point. But regardless, when he is ready to graduate to a real bow, your younger son can fit right into the Genisis.
Shaky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Fresh2Salt
Time to make the Donuts...

Fresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to Pirate
Genesis is a good start but...

I think you'd have to get the Gensis Pro to be able to get to hunting poundage. Depending on what you wanted to spend the Browning youth bows offer some good choices and will top out around 40lbs. I personally want to look into a Hoyt bow that goes from 20-50lbs. which will last as a youth bow for a long time to come.
Fresh2Salt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
TXPalerider

TXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to PirateTXPalerider has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks to both of you, but, DAMM!! I think this must be the only thing in this world that everyone on this board doesn't have an expert opinion on.

Guess I'll have to take the info I got and do some research.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Captn C
Reel Gambler

Captn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to Pirate
I just bought the wife a Hoyt Rentec XL.

I have bow hunted since 1978 and it's the sweetest bow I have messed with! One thing I like about it is you can adjust the draw length without a press....loosen one screw, move it and you're done! It covers from the low 20's (don't recall for sure) up to 29" and has a peak weight of 50lb. The IBO on it is 280FPS....thats smoken for a 50lb draw weight. It's best feature is it's quite! I have shot/hunted with many different brands and quite is one major postive for any bow.

She had never picked up a bow before I bought her this bow three weeks ago and she is already shooting a four arrow group (thats all I let her shoot on each round) that you can reach all the way around with one hand.

I have delt with Viking Archery since I began shooting a bow and they are the folks I got this bow from. $329 for the bow only....rigged and ready to hunt/shoot $525....
Captn C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
Bucksnort
100% BS

Bucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPalerider
Thanks to both of you, but, DAMM!! I think this must be the only thing in this world that everyone on this board doesn't have an expert opinion on.

Guess I'll have to take the info I got and do some research.
Here is my experet opinion...don't waste your money on a bow and buy that boy a good rifle.(and scope)
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
TXPalerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort
Here is my experet opinion...don't waste your money on a bow and buy that boy a good rifle.(and scope)
Why would I take the expert opinion of a guy that can't even spell "expert?" LOL
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
Bucksnort
100% BS

Bucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPalerider
Why would I take the expert opinion of a guy that can't even spell "expert?" LOL
I did that on purpose
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
TXPalerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort
I did that on purpose
I knew that!!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
red-fin
Registered Users-pm+

red-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Piratered-fin has been promoted to Pirate
Youth Bow

My 7 year old shoots an Browning Micro Midas which is adj. 17"-27" I think and is 15-30 lbs. It can be upgraded with cams and limbs to go 30-50 I believe the guy at the shop told me for a nominal fee if we want when he outgrows it. My wife shoots an Micro adrenaline its like 18"-28" and 30-50. Both bows are easy, carefree, shooting, and killing machines. I looked at the Hoyt geneses and its a great bow but doesn't seem to have a solid wall. I didn't want to start any bad anchor point problems.
red-fin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message