2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Poll: TKA Boundaries??

5K views 75 replies 31 participants last post by  Argo 
#1 ·
Since there's been a lot of discussion on the other thread, let's take a vote. Are you in favor of a 50-75 mile limit for the TKA tournament?

#10 ·
outside looking in.. 50 miles for 23' and no limits for the big boats..by going 50 miles for the little guys you may be able attract guys like me (21') that don't want to run more than 50 miles. Why would i want to pay $500/600 a tournament knowing that I was out gunned from the start. BTW - how many 23' class winners caught their fish within 50 miles? just curious..

#11 ·
no boundries

we would prefer no boundries

If the smaller boats which will take more time to reach the spots
farther out ( 60- 100 miles ) are willing to give up fishing time
and make the run farther it should be there chioce .
and letting the big boats have no boundries ( not )
I would like a chance to win everytime we enter a tourney
not just the 23 and under
chances for 23's inside 50 miles are alot lower with the big boats
having no limits

just my opinion
would love to see more boats just like everyone else

#12 ·
Jason, I agree the boundries wouldn't be fair if the class of 23' were competing for the same prize boat with the unlimiteds..the only way it would be fair is if the class of 23' had there own grand prize and the two classes were totally seperate. Like I stated before,have the class of 23 compete for a big outboard or something..Surely Yammy or Merc would annie up with a outboard. I think the odds would improve for the 23' guys.. Devils advocate here - why would I want to pay my money knowing that i'm going to be able to run 50 miles while you're (and the other big 23's) probably going to run a 100 and catch bigger fish.. Don't get me wrong..that's the advantage you big 23 guys are legitamately capitializing on with the stated length rule and rightly so - but it just doesn't make sense for me to sign up.. I guess i'll just have to wait until I get a bigger boat..( hope my wife doesn't read this - promissed this one would be it for a long time) and once again I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here (especially you Jason - I need you to make me a nice top soon) - just an outside opinion from someone thinking about trying it out but not convinced its worth the dough.. tight lines

#14 ·
your probably right.. single engine is another idea.. Jason do you mind signing up as the official tow boat for poor bastards like me with a single engine..LOL

BTW: if you guys haven't seen the new Millennium Marine cat, it's one mean looking machine..

#17 ·
22ft. Cape Craft
Single 150 Yamaha
Range-120 sm
Sponsor- me
I have been fishing SKA for 3 years. When I signed up for my first tournament I knew what the rules were. Guess what. They haven't changed! I bought what I could afford and figured out the best way to compete with what I have. I knew going in what my limitations were, and they haven't changed either. My best results have been through persistance on tough days when alot of people didn't find fish on those long runs. I will upgrade equipment if and when possible, but for now I'm just going to fish my ***** off, get the $#!& beat out of me, and have one hell of a good time. Quit whining and fish if you want. I would like to see more boats as much as anyone else, but not at the expense of the constant whining. Just to clarify, boundaries would be to my advantage probably more than anyone.

#18 · (Edited)
Cool, One Loco

If you would please, Give Mercury a call and have them give us a Big out board for a prize!!! That would be great, and many thanks. I can't belive some of this.

I have the answer:

Open Class 2 or more motors 50 miles or less.
Open Class 2 or more motors must fish atleast 50 miles or more.
Open Single motor or less 50 miles or less.
Open Single motor or less must fish atleast 50 miles or more.
23 and under 2 or more motors 50 miles or less.
23 and under 2 motors or more must fish atleast 50 miles or more.
23 and under single motor 50 miles or less.
23 and under single motor must fish atleast 50 miles or more.

Payout based on 100 entries per class.
1st: 21ft Contender with 200 hp Verado
2nd: $10,000.00
3rd: $ 7,500.00
4th: $ 5,000.00
5th: $4,000.00
6th: $3,000.00
7th: $2,000.00
8th: $1,500.00
9th: $1,250.00
10th:$1,000.00
11th thru 20th $500.00

Entry fee $1,000.00 per boat early. Late entry fee $1,250.00
Total payout $ 606,000.00 the largest tournament in Texas. :bounce:

#19 ·
Oh, well. It doesn't sound like there is really that much support for a boundary. I can't say I blame folks. It seems that people who have ponied up the money for a boat that has a long reach don't want to give up that advantage. Frankly, I did the same thing in buying a boat that is on the upper end of the of 23 class limit.

It's actually strange when you think about it. Even with a 50 mile limit (if it's done similar to the FLW boundaries) that would result in 5,000 square miles of fishable area. Hard to believe that isn't enough area to hold a 100 boat tournament. :confused:

Personally, I do think it requires more skill to compete and consistently win in a format with boundaries, but the whole point behind this concept was to draw in more participants. Based on the lackluster response this doesn't seem to be the answer either. Maybe someone else has some ideas on how to get more people involved. One idea TXContender put out was to have prizes given out for the fish weighed in closest to a given weight e.g. 20lbs. I'm sure there are other good ideas out there as well.

#21 ·
I don't feel that the boundries is that big of a issue. Us smaller boat guys just have to find good fish in our fishable area, and we will have more time to fish by not making the long runs. I think that more payout places in the 23 and under would help draw more boats. With that said I think that we have a good system in place. Open boats compete for 10 places and class of 23 have 13 possible places. IS IT TIME TO FISH YET.

Andy
Captains Playmate

#23 ·
Don't care either way

I signed up three years ago and knew what I was getting into. I bought the boat I could afford (1993 27' Proline w/ twin 200 Yamaha's) and have fished it. I do not get out there as fast as the big boats but I get to the same places and fish. I do not care if we have boundaries or not but I do want to have the decision as soon as possible because I am looking into a faster boat (still affordable) but I probably would not change boats if the boundaries were adopted.

#25 ·
Staying overnight!

How bout no check in 1st day? That sure would save a ton on fuel ! Yeah, I know, the marina won't be selling as much fuel/ice and people won't get to see the 1st day weights and so on. I guess there is safety in a check in too but don't some billfish tournaments do this as well? Sure would be nice to wake up "out there" and start fishing without having to come in and refuel though. (especially with the cost of fuel!) It would eliminate that "I saw **** catch that fish on "X" rock" situation also. Oh wait, I use that one sometimes!! :)
Either way, I'm ready to wet a hook one way or the other! Btw, Bill, please have an extra cleat installed on the back of the boat (both sides)! I like the starboard side heading out and the port side heading in. :) Specs for the cleats should reflect a 10000-12000 lb towing capacity at high speeds! I'll give Jose a 20 for my share of the fuel! :)
Later,
Brice

#26 ·
The east coast ska tournaments are larger than ours, and have been for many years now. I have never fished a east coast kingfish tournament, so I am not sure of this, but I have never heard of boundaries in their tournaments. I know that they can fish closer to shore, but several boats will run 100 miles down the coast to catch a kingfish, and they don't have the problems we have. I'm not 100% sold on the idea that boundaries will fix the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.