Curing meat: Am I doing this right. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
ACC
Registered Users-pm+

ACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to Pirate
Curing meat: Am I doing this right.

I’m dry curing a pork loin to make some Canadian bacon. It is my first time doing this. I cut the 7+ lbs. loin in half and placed each half in its own 1 gallon zipper baggie. I placed the baggies in an aluminum pan and put them in the frig set at 37 degrees. When I went to flip the loin halves on day 2 of the cure period, there was a lot of fluid present. The zippers on the baggies had come open and fluid had spilled out into the aluminum pan under the bags. I flipped them and did not try to close the zippers. I did put a piece of Saran wrap over the end of the pan where the ends of the loin pieces were exposed to refrigerator air.

First, I assume that the presence of fluid is normal. Am I correct?

Second, should I swap out a glass pan for the aluminum pan? I read today that I should not have used an aluminum pan because nitrite and aluminum will react with each other.

Third, should I do anything with the fluid? Should I pour it back into the baggies? Should I pour it down the drain?
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Did you use a brine solution?
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
If you do a search on "Canadian bacon" here on 2Cool's search, there is a post by Dick Hanks that is about 10 posts down from the top of that topic. It is titled "Canadian Bacon" with around 63 posts and 19,946 views. There is a whole lot of info about making cured pork. Especially Canadian bacon. It may even answers some questions that you haven't thought of.

I can't figure out how to link that post to this one? ? ?
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
BadBob
Registered Users-pm+

BadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hanks View Post
If you do a search on "Canadian bacon" here on 2Cool's search, there is a post by Dick Hanks that is about 10 posts down from the top of that topic. It is titled "Canadian Bacon" with around 63 posts and 19,946 views. There is a whole lot of info about making cured pork. Especially Canadian bacon. It may even answers some questions that you haven't thought of.

if your go to that thread you highlight the url and copy (www.blablabla.com) then you paste it into the little globe with the chain link below it (insert link)
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
BadBob
Registered Users-pm+

BadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to PirateBadBob has been promoted to Pirate
https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbfor...canadian+bacon
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
they're gonna start shooting at me soon because I keep posting...
https://meatsandsausages.com/
so much good info and
probably the best site I've come across
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 12:26 AM   #7
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hanks View Post

gonna rat that out...
as I have more time when it'd cold here.. ac on low..
I'm looking into such things....
the jagerwurst thing is on the fore-front...
we have juniper!
so a jagerwurst hot smoked in my little haus
could be geshieczen
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 AM   #8
ACC
Registered Users-pm+

ACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to Pirate
Boy, did I come to the right spot. That Dick Hanks thread is right on point. My plan was pretty much what Dick posted in post #3 of his Canadian bacon thread, except I used brown sugar in a 2 to 1 ratio. From the thread, I conclude:
1. The production of fluid is a normal part of the curing process.
2. Some of the nitrites and nitrates needed for curing the meat are now in the fluid which had escaped from the baggies.

I moved the loin pieces, in their baggies, to a larger glass pan. Hopefully, with the extra space the zippers will not pop open. The glass pan also eliminated any possible chemical reaction with aluminum. Since the loin pieces are the same weight, I poured ½ of the escaped fluid into each baggie.

Kweber, that is a good website with a lot of information.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
I also started to use brown sugar in a 2 to 1 ratio ratio as well. Turns out just a tad sweeter, which we both like. Looks like you are doing it all correctly.

ACC.... Post up some picture of your finished product in this thread or the long "Canadian Bacon" thread.
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
ACC
Registered Users-pm+

Sure, I'll post some pics.

I need some advice on calculating cure time. The loin pieces have flatten out and are basically 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide. Do I cure them 8 days (4x2) or 16 days (4x4)?

I'm thinking of 10 days. 1/4" penetration per day for 2" of thickness, plus 2 day safety margin.