How to clean reels after saltwater use - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
How to clean reels after saltwater use

Just uploaded a vid on how I personally go about cleaning my reels after a day in saltwater. Just putting this out there for anyone who may be interested

dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for posting. It's a big help when people share with other fishermen. Green to you for taking the time.

I'm really particular about what I use inside my reels. A lot of lubricants turn into gum after a while, and you can make a real mess of a reel using them. I didn't know that 13 recommends the Remington gun oil, but I'll probably pick some up to test after seeing your video.

One of the things I use on my reels is anhydrous alcohol. Not denatured alcohol, but 99.9% anhydrous. A lot of people warn that it doesn't stay that way, because as soon as you open up the bottle it starts picking up water from the air. But I buy it off of Amazon in sealed spray bottles. It really helps to wash some grime out of a reel, and then evaporates quickly.

One of the things I've threatened to do for years is coat a brand new reel, inside and out, with one of the hydrophilic nano-coatings. But if it really works like it's supposed to, I don't think the oil could reach the teeth of the gears. I do think it might help to coat the lip of the spool, and that little ledge on the frame that the spool sits in. I feel like I get a lot of salt water incursion between the spool and frame that comes off of wet line as I'm reeling it in.

I'm not wild about the little open hole in 13 reels that you mentioned for applying oil. I think coating around that with the nano-coating might at least cut down on water incursion there.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
dk2429

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
Thanks for posting. It's a big help when people share with other fishermen. Green to you for taking the time.

I'm really particular about what I use inside my reels. A lot of lubricants turn into gum after a while, and you can make a real mess of a reel using them. I didn't know that 13 recommends the Remington gun oil, but I'll probably pick some up to test after seeing your video.

One of the things I use on my reels is anhydrous alcohol. Not denatured alcohol, but 99.9% anhydrous. A lot of people warn that it doesn't stay that way, because as soon as you open up the bottle it starts picking up water from the air. But I buy it off of Amazon in sealed spray bottles. It really helps to wash some grime out of a reel, and then evaporates quickly.

One of the things I've threatened to do for years is coat a brand new reel, inside and out, with one of the hydrophilic nano-coatings. But if it really works like it's supposed to, I don't think the oil could reach the teeth of the gears. I do think it might help to coat the lip of the spool, and that little ledge on the frame that the spool sits in. I feel like I get a lot of salt water incursion between the spool and frame that comes off of wet line as I'm reeling it in.

I'm not wild about the little open hole in 13 reels that you mentioned for applying oil. I think coating around that with the nano-coating might at least cut down on water incursion there.
No problem! Ive got other vids on there y'all are welcome to check out.

A friend of mine has exclusively used Rem oil on all his reels as long as I've known him. Most of them are Curados/Chronarchs. No problems. Stuff is cheap too. I think it's like a dollar at Academy.

Again, like I said in the vid, only reason I use the Lucas is because Lucas makes great oil products in general. I never have any problem with Rem oil.

Im not sure the point of those service ports either. I've always been told to not put oil on gears, and that's basically where those ports lead to...

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
johnsons1480
Registered Users-pm+

johnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the video dk2429.

pocjetty, can you link up that alcohol? I'm interested.
johnsons1480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Sniper
Registered Users-pm+

Sniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to Pirate
I order it from Walgreens,, mixed with lanolin makes the best case sizing lube
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
dk2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsons1480 View Post

No problem, thanks for watching!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsons1480 View Post

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-...G6K4MWXESFQWS9
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message