Floater Trip Dec 16 18 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 12-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
bjd76
Registered Users-pm+

bjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Piratebjd76 has been promoted to Pirate
tuna Floater Trip Dec 16 18

Saw a potential weather window and called the usual crew folks – everyone busy at this time of year! But, Fred had been out of town and was itching to go so he rounded up Chad and David and we planned a Sun-Mon trip. North winds calmed down as did seas and tide recovered such that we could launch at Bridge Bait, which we did at about noon.

Headed straight out to the Floaters, making about 30mph until the last 15 miles or so. Wind from the NE caused some spray so slowed down to minimize its effect. About that time Fred sees a 40 gal blue barrel and we stop to check it out. Chad tosses a feather jig and has a couple nice mahi follow. Second cast or so and he hooks a nice one – maybe 15-20#? We threw halcos and squid in addition to the feather jig but no other takers. Headed to the floaters.

Got there about an hour before dusk and trolled a little. First 2 passes we picked up some small bft and then nothing for the next 3 or 4. Started casting swim baits and poppers and again no takers. A lot of fish marking initially but they must have noved on 'cause screen showed less and less marks. Shortly after dark Chad gets hooked up and despite Fred and my horrendous gaffing attempts, on about the 3rd try we both stick her (just barely!) and about a 65#er in the boat. Nothing after that so at about 830 we head to the other Floater. I knew 3 of the 4 boats out there so all commiserated about the lack of feeding fish. I guess it was about 1030 and I get a nice strike. Fish takes off like a scalded cat and Fred maneuvers the boat such that she couldn’t get around the rig and cut me off. Fred and David gaff her and about a 75#er in the boat. The bft were almost non existent until about 3am and then we started catching them.

Next yft action occurred about 230am when I get another strike on the same pink halco and we get her in the box, about a 60#er I guess. We all started catching bft on swimbaits and David caught quite a few on the jig. I had 2 other yft that came guickly unbuttoned as did Fred. At first light things got busy froma a quantity perspective but not quality… I get about a 30 incher, then David gets his first yft – about a 35 incher, and then I get another just barely legal yft. Fred and Chad get a couple too but they were a little short. And then they were gone.

Oh yea, wind and seas at night were not what I expected (5-10kts and 1-2s) compared to 10-13kts and steep 3s with an occasional 4 thrown in! But, winds started calming down at about 3am and the ride in was a non-event, did 32-34mph the whole way in.

Tight lines and Merry Christmas to all and remember to be safe out there.
Attached Images

Last edited by bjd76; 12-17-2018 at 06:55 PM.
bjd76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
AirbornXpress
Captn Luchak

AirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to PirateAirbornXpress has been promoted to Pirate
Nice report Bruce! Y'all done good
AirbornXpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
Calmday
Salty Dawg

Calmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to Pirate
Sounds like fun. Nice report.
Calmday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 02:57 AM   #4
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
Bruce is indeed the tuna whisperer! David, his cousin Ben and I were in David's 27 Seahunt and got there about an hour before dark. We through Halco's at Boomvang with nothing biting so we headed to Nancen with the other few boats. It was a pretty sloppy sea out there. Bruce mentioned 3's with an occasional 4 and I'd agree. I think it was the residual from the 15 ft seas a couple of days earlier. Either way, it made for a bumpy ride the last 15 miles. I will note we saw a lot of big logs/debris on the way there and on the way home...be careful!
The tuna action didn't start until about midnight for us. David took a short nap while Ben and I trolled halcos with no success. I started seeing blowups next to the rig so we woke David up, got the lines in and started casting. I got the first BFT shortly after and then we started catching. We caught probably 10-15 of them but no YFT. By morning, we were tired and ready to head home but decided to troll for a bit. I got bit and we had one barely legal YFT in the boat. Ben was next with one about the same size. We dropped a live bait at Sunrise on the way home and came unbuttoned on something big but nothing after that so we headed home. Seas flattened out and we could have waterskied home the last 30 miles. (posted this report here as posting new topics has been broken for me for a few days)
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
matawest
Registered Users-pm+

matawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matematawest has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
tuna

That pic would make a fine Christmas card
matawest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message