TPand W meetings - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #31
BEER4BAIT
good looking single member

BEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to Pirate
I just found out the diciding outcome will come from the public fishermen that show up. The Feds will do away with snapper season etc do what they want no matter how many show. TPWD will fight them for all they got to save keep year round, 4 per person, depending on the numbers at the meeting. They need to show that X number of people came to speak and that is why they can not risk the lower number of rec. fishermen and there $$$$$ for the state. The more that show the better we will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mike
TPand W is having a series of meetings in January to "consider changes in the present Red Snapper and Shark fisheries to attain greater consistency between Federal reulations and State Regulations . This is Agencyspeak for " we are getting a lot of pressure from the Feds to close state waters when the EEZ closes and we going to cave ." The only way to have a chance to keep a state fishery is to put a lot of pressure on them to keep it the way it is . If not, get ready for 2 fish 16inches from June thru Sept in state waters as well .

All meetings are from 7:00 to 9:00 PM

Jan 3 Port Arthhur Public Library
Jan 8 Galveston Co. Extension Service Office Dickinson Tx
Jan 9 University of Texas Marine Science Institute Auditorium Port Aransas
Jan 10 Port Isabel Community Center Port Isabel

A good turnout for these meetings will be sorely needed.
BEER4BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
michaelbaranowski
Live Like No One Else.

michaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Pirate
I think I have that same letter laying on my desk but it has my name on it rather than Monty's.
michaelbaranowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #33
awesum
Registered Users-pm+

awesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER4BAIT
I just found out the diciding outcome will come from the public fishermen that show up. The Feds will do away with snapper season etc do what they want no matter how many show. TPWD will fight them for all they got to save keep year round, 4 per person, depending on the numbers at the meeting. They need to show that X number of people came to speak and that is why they can not risk the lower number of rec. fishermen and there $$$$$ for the state. The more that show the better we will be.
I sure hope you're right. I've been emailing and calling friends trying to rally them to attend. How do you say APATHY ? These are all avid fishermen I'm talking about too. It seems that everyone has the opinion that .... like the feds .... their heads are made and they're gonna do it no matter what.

I dont believe that. I have a lot of respect for the TP&W and the way they have defied the feds in recent years by having their own rules and regulations regarding the Red Snapper fishery. Some of us have grown to expect the TP&W to lead rather than follow so I have difficulty believing that they are just going to lay down and let the feds tell them what to do.

JMHO
awesum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #34
BEER4BAIT
good looking single member

BEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to PirateBEER4BAIT has been promoted to Pirate
Believe it or not, I have a front row seat to TPWD Don't show and lose or show and make a stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesum
I sure hope you're right. I've been emailing and calling friends trying to rally them to attend. How do you say APATHY ? These are all avid fishermen I'm talking about too. It seems that everyone has the opinion that .... like the feds .... their heads are made and they're gonna do it no matter what.

I dont believe that. I have a lot of respect for the TP&W and the way they have defied the feds in recent years by having their own rules and regulations regarding the Red Snapper fishery. Some of us have grown to expect the TP&W to lead rather than follow so I have difficulty believing that they are just going to lay down and let the feds tell them what to do.

JMHO
BEER4BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #35
TOO
Registered Users-pm+

TOO has disabled reputation
Hi folks, I hope that what I will offer to do will help out and make a difference with these meetings.
I will attend the Port Aransas meeting on the 9th. I will be happy to copy and print out letters from anyone that sends us a Microsoft Word document to [email protected] supporting the Texas Red Snapper season being left open and seperate from the Federal regulations.
I do ask for a word document as it is easier for us to print than a straight email response.
I make this offer, but for those that have attended public meetings as I have in the past, I have this question:
Will showing up at the meeting with "X" number of printed letters in support of the current state regulations make any real input to the TPWD officials, or would only warm bodies make a difference?
That is my only concern on this offer.
I will willingly copy and print any letter and present it to the TPWD officials, and for those that are far from the coastal areas of Texas it will make your voice be heard.
I do think it will be effective to present whatever letters we receive, but my concern is, will the TPWD officials realize that folks that live far from the coast want a say in the decesion making process for state waters?
It is very hard for a fishermen to try to justify driving from DFW, San Angelo, Austin, Lubbock, or elsewhere and burn a day or two of work during the middle of the week, especially right after the holidays.
That said, we will be happy to copy and present letters from those that send them to us at the above email address. I would recommend that anyone that does this include in their letter the following:
full name
address
phone numbers?
fishing or super combo license number?
A simple, respectful, well written letter stating your support for maintaining the current Texas State water regulations, and opposing the Federal regulations.
If the letters can be written, signed, scanned and then sent to us that might be better.
Not sure if the license number or phone numbers are helpful or if that is good(smart) thing to do, but I put that there if folks want to let the TPWD know they are a licensed fishermen.
I do suggest if you are attending one of the other meetings to not send a letter to us.
Again, we'll be there in Port Aransas and will present any letters email to us. We hope it will make a difference.
If anyone has something to add to our offer or suggest something different we are all ears.
If anyone has a question feel free to call us at (210) 215-3877
Willie
Texas Outdoor Organizers
TOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #36
oldtrackster
Registered Users-pm+

oldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirateoldtrackster has been promoted to Pirate
Too I sent an email to Art Morris on this subject and I just noticed you requested possibly a copy. Would you want a copy of the email I sent?
oldtrackster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
New RFA Member X other member

86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate86228 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
If a signed letter or pettion will do the trick would someone in the know and politicaly correct please compose a letter and send it to me in word format. I will print as many as needed and take them to the boat show witch starts this weekend and put them in my favorite dealers booth to gether signatures. I am shure Chris at TSF the Sea Vee dude and most dealers that handle fishing boats will help. TP&W, CCA will also have booths. Monte, John compose me something. The next thing is get in bed with the CCA and and get snapper declared a sport fish in this state then get all commercial sales banned. Now's our chance the timeing is perfect to get signatures LET'S ROLL!!!!
86228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #38
TOO
Registered Users-pm+

TOO has disabled reputation
Oldster, please send it. I've talked to few people more experienced with dealing with the TWD and the Fed's than me and it won't hurt to have paper documentation even if it's redundant.

Here's a sample of what can be copied and presented. Feel free to modify/change, add or subtract from to it to suit the specific issue of these meeting.
This is just one letter with several viable options with most fishermen supporting some or all of these suggestions. Again feel free customize the below letter to suit your needs.
So far we have received only one email from a flatlander asking us to print a letter to take to Port Aransas next week. We are hoping for 200 or more letters.

To Whom It May Concern,

Regarding the matter of the TP&W sponsored meetings on the issue of changing the season and bag limits currently in place in state waters for Red Snapper to be more in line with federal regulations I would like to offer the following comments and suggestions.

It is with tremendous repect that I have seen the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department lead the way for recreational fishermen by defying federal regulators actions of imposing strict regulations beyond what many of us feel is necessary in order to help the fishery recover and thrive. The Red Snapper fishery in state waters continues to show that it can support the season and bag limits in place. In fact, anyone can tell you that the Red Snapper fishing in federal waters was better by far this year than it has been in several years. Boats were able to quickly fill a two fish limit and thereby reducing the mortality rate often incurred while having to cull.

None of us are against regulations where they are reasonable and necessary. If there were some way to get the Red Snapper declared a gamefish in state waters I would be more than willing to purchse a "Red Snapper" tag much like the tag we now purchase for Redfish and Speckled Trout. This measure might even add revenues for the department. I feel that further reduction of the Red Snapper season and bag limits will reduce revenues from lost license sales due to many fishermen calling it quits.

We probably should also look at implementing the use of circle hooks in order to reduce by-catch mortality. Mortality is even more evidence that a "first (?) fish" retention should be in place.

I also would like to address the issue of "The Great Barrier Reef Project" and can't help but wonder if this project has fallen by the wayside. Many of us feel that this is the answer and we would be willing to support it within our individual ability. Let's get it going!

In closing I would like to say that we have grown to expect the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to lead the way rather that follow in anyone's footsteps. Other states are watching this issue as well. I have received emails from folks in Florida saying they hope we don't give in to the federal regulators. We feel that the change is not necessary at this time and are counting on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to come through for us.

Sincerely,
TOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message