2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Wreck off Bolivar beach front

21K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  ddoucen3855 
#1 · (Edited)
Any one know what it is? How old?

#34 ·
"Denbigh lies today in shallow water on the north side of Bolivar Roads. The wreck is not far from Fort Travis, a post-Civil War fortification that is now a county park. The wreck is ordinarily underwater, but on rare occasions, when the tide is extremely low, the upper parts of the sidewheels and some machinery are visible above the surface "

From that description, I reckon the Denbigh is registered in the AWIOS as the wreck located at 29.36414, -94.743942

#39 ·
I've fished at the one outside Jetties when the area was refered to as the garbage dump or Bolivar flats or Mexican beach. I've been spooled there, I saw my first huge Ray, have caught almost 2 48qt coolers of trout there about 50 years ago. There were times we couldn't catch anything other than hardheads or sharks, my 2 sons saw/caught there first shark there 35 years ago. The area in front of the Lighthouse WAS called the Pocket back then, my 2 sons caught their first flounder and trout wading with me there, back then there was a bait shop close to the road at the old pocket and was one at the base of the N Jetty. I have seen beds of trucks loaded with trout from the Mexican seiners, at the old Garbage dump leaving hundreds of small rays left to rot. I can't remember where my keys are but I remember this like it was yesterday......hmmm we all used a 5000B.

#41 ·
Not sure if this is the same ship my father talked about to me 50 yrs ago but he told me multiple time that he and 2 other guys we're wade fishing around the area and found gold bars... Lots of em. They buried what they could get somewhere on the island. A few years later he was badly pistol whipped and put in the hospital, he told me he was scared for his life because the other 2 guys had been murdered, so he would never tell me where they buried it because it was only trouble. Idk, funny story I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.