2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Don't use these split snap quick change thingys

12K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  zack3476 
#1 ·
I bought a pack and thought they would work for lure chunking. I mean, look at them, how could a jig head get off that? Well, somehow it does. In probably less than 200 casts, I have lost one 1/8 oz jig head with hogie and a pink corkie. This was on two different days.

The corkie one was on black Friday. I chunked out the lure and twitched it and had a strike. The fish was on! It was a 14" trout, but when I pulled the fish up to me, I did not see the corkie. Did he swallow it? Nope, the corkie had come off the snap and somehow the split snap thingy had "hooked" into the spec's lip. Instead of digging a hook out of the lip, I had to dig the snap out. Very weird. Wish I had my camera with me.

The jighead just flew off, as I casted it. ("casted" doesn't look right, but is how I always have said it)

Anyway, I threw those things away.

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
Last two packs of nortons I have purchased had a couple snap in half.I have also thrown a couple corkys off as well..If you are fishing for fun no biggie i guess besides a few dollars being lost but on tournament days im loop knot or nothing.Id rather cut and re tie than watch a fish swim off with my lure and half of my swivel.I just cant trust my entry money with the norton clips anymore!!!Good luck whatever you decide to do.

#38 · (Edited)
I agree with EJ... there are times for both. On the grass flats you can get away with mono 9/10 times. Over deep oyster mono is also fine. I use Fluoro 25 and 30 when fishin the rocks or shallow oysters especially if I'm hoping for a big fish.. if Im just hunting a limit no biggie, but if I'm hunting big fish like I usually do then it's going to be fluoro. I will say the other thing fluro allows me to do is is check my leader less and I can go fish after fish without retying even on the flats. If I'm using mono I'm checking it every fish.

#40 ·
Micro guide knot

EJ@TSFMag hit on an important point, when he mentioned micro guides and slim knots. I use a 4 or 5 foot 20 lb mono leader, tied to Power Pro super slick 8, in 8/30 line class. But with micro guides a very slim smooth knot is necessary. The FG/Rizzuto finish is the micro guide knot. Don't think the rest will fit through the eyes, without snagging on them. I use a simply three wrap uni knot for mono to terminal tackle. :texasflag

#41 ·
if you use an FG and run it through the guides, you better retie that sucker after about 4 hours. There's enough people that have had failures mid wade that warrant not using it when running through the guides. Great knot for offshore trolling or if you use a short leader and don't run it through the guides. I think the alberto knot has less reported failures and is almost as small. plus if you don't get that Rizzuto and the tag end just right it's a pain.

#47 ·
I fish fast and change lures frequently. I often fish in cold or wet weather, where the hands stiffen up and tying knots becomes extremely difficult. The right snaps can be very valuable if the approach is to rapidly cycle lures and presentations till finding a winner. Fishing in Minnesota I landed a 44 lb muskie using a 20 lb kvd snap. Never had a kvd snap open. I catch more fish due to snaps, bottom line.

#48 ·
Seaguar knot works super w/ mono to braid. Use Chapstick before tightening knot. I prefer Palomar for the terminal tackle or hook. Again using Chapstick.

I agree the appeal of the quick clips seems great for speed; however, getting your hook or lure in the clip can be a fumbling problem also.

#52 ·
I used several brands of quick change clips over the years, as I too liked to quickly try different lures/jigs while mainly fishing for trout, reds and flounder. My best fishing buddy, an old salt, kept warning me against their use, but I continued to use them. That is until the day I lost a fish of a lifetime to one of them failing. I was trout fishing from the Fish Pass jetty rocks on Mustang Island using a Rat L Trap, when it was hit by a nice size tarpon, a species which I had never hooked in my life. That sucker straigtened the clip right out, taking my Rat L Trap along with it. Lesson finally learned.

#54 ·
Throw away all your clips, they will cost you fish. Learn to tie 3 knots. The FG knot for braid to leader, the non slip loop knot, and the improved clench knot. These are the only knots you need. There are many other good knots but these three will serve you well, and with a little practice they are really easy and fast.

#55 ·
I’ve been using a double uni from braid to leader for years and I can only think of one failure on a fish. If it’s going to fail, it’ll happen when I backlash a cast. 30 lb braid, 6 or 7 wraps, 15-25 lb leader, 3 or 4 wraps. Runs through the guides just fine if you need it to and is real quick to tie. I guess I’ve never got the FG know down, it takes too long for me to mess with and can screw up
If you don’t have everything seated properly.

Almost always a no slip loop knot to the lure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.