2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Stainless Steel Anchor

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Stephan 
#1 ·
I built an anchor in 1978. It has been hot dipped galvanized a few times. The last time was 2008 and cost $65.00. It needs it again, but now they want $175. So instead I built one out of Stainless Steel for about $100.00.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
No shipping cost. You can buy a 19-lb Boyles anchor for $65 and it is hot dipped galvanized. I have no ideal why they want so much money. In San Antonio you only have one place, Southwest/*** Galvanizing. My old anchor is 20-lbs and new one is 18-lbs.

#4 ·
I can't claim to remember the cost it was so long ago, but as a young man I sent enough steel to be HDG that the galvanizing company I was using offered me a deer hunting trip. I declined the hunting trip, because from talking to them, I preferred my own lease.

Basically they were telling you "We don't want to mess with your anchor." My memory has faded, but back then it seems the cost was maybe 20 to 25 cents a pound for finished weight of HDG unistrut channel?

#9 ·
Ive had trailer frames and other items galvanized in Houston and theres usually a minimum charge by weight. Last time i checked a few years ago it was 400 lbs minimum but cant remember what the price per lb was. Too bad they wouldnt work with you on a small part.
Nice work on the new stainless one though

#11 ·
I wish I had a plasma cutter, you may not know this, but you can not use a Oxy-Fuel Cutting Torch on SS. I first tried making a cut with my cut off saw with an abrasive blade. That took way too long and got the SS way too hot. I spent $80 on a diamond coated blade and that did not go as well as I had hoped. A regular 4-1/2" grinder with a 1/8" cut off blade went right through it. I got the flat SS from a scrap yard for a $1 a pound. I did not know if it was 304 or 316 SS and they did not either. After a lot of research, I found out you can tell the difference by looking at the shape of the sparks when you grind it. It was 304 and I used 316 on the rod, which I purchased from metals4you. I was worried about the 304 rusting, but after using it, it has not showed any signs of rusting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.