2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

How many Baby Cats owners here?

160K views 293 replies 73 participants last post by  vw4fun 
#1 ·
Been swapping emails with tow other Baby Cat owners. How many of there are on 2Cool? May have to have a BC parade some time. ;) Also nice to see what has worked for others and how people have their boats rigged out and what motors and props the use. Three of us have theTohatsu 90's with The Power Tech 17 prop.

I know of
JimD
Kcliff
Nwilkins
Nate 2004 BC Etec 90 ? 4 blade

#42 ·
Small trim tabs.It doesn't seem to need them when your running light but as soon as you add too much weight it gets too hard to jump up.I also think that if I had them I would be able to get more top end speed by not porpoising(not sure how to spell that???)so bad.

#7 ·
I just ordered mine today. I am going to have them put a 90 yammie on it and have some corner boxes made for the rear.
I think I will go with a tan and green color.

Does anyone have a 4 blade prop on their cat?
Tran Sport didn't recommend it.

#11 ·
Red /White

Here is the red/white.

The trick is to keep an eye on Donny and see what he is building if you want anything other that white. I wanted the gray white or black but NOT for another 500$ for a special order color. The red and white is pretty but makes it hard to potlick NW and others. ;) Made the boss happy because she was afraid that someone would run over me in the bay in the neutral colors. She does not realize that no matter what you can get run over with some of the boaters in the area. :)

I did change out the windshield and support rail so that I can fold the window down and get the boat in my garage.

He had two yellow ones built when I was down there last month if you wanted yellow. He usually does not charge extra if he has already built a color that you like.

Built a set of night fishing lights to put on mine and trying to go tonight. Just finished redoing my honda gen after loaning it out for the storm last fall.

Attachments

#13 ·
Were you the one with the blue and grey one or the black and grey one?
Both of those boats were sweet.

I was really amazed with the ride and how fast it jumped up on plane.

I guess a just have to sit and wait a few months until it's done.

JimD, I saw a red and white that Donny had in his shop yesterday and it really stood out.
I think honestly I think it would hurt my eyes after a hard night of drinking, Hell it would probably match the color of my eyes, but it does look good

#15 ·
You really have a sweet boat.

I need some opinions, Johnny from Trans Sport sent me some pixs from the corner boxes he had installed on his Baby Cat, I am still not sure if I want them installed on mine.

Johnny was telling me it will stop alot water from coming in the back when your standing back there.

I could alway use some more storage, but I am not sure if it will cause a problem with water draining off the deck or just get in my way.

Attachments

#16 ·
Depends on how much stuff u need. I feel the forward/bow hatches are plenty. It is a scooter so I would want less weight I have the rear platform which I only got because of the view and sight casting is fun. It does cut your draft when standing on it- u have to be careful while drifting I weigh less than 200lbs and I noticed a difference but it isn't bad when no one is on it I would go the less weight- that iswhy I didn't get a power pole or trolling motor that and maintenance

#17 ·
Thanks for your opinion Kcliff, I didn't plan on putting alot of weight back there, mostly would use it for wading belts and stringers.
No rear platform, but I will have a 6' power pole.
I'm still not sure if I need those compartments.

#18 ·
Well, stopped by Tran's today and took a test ride in a baby cat, ended up putting a deposit down on one, should be ready in 6-8 weeks cant wait! Went with the new light banana split yellow and white color...with leaning post, ss popup cleats, casting platform, stereo, 6 ft power pole w/ remote and a 90 Tohatsu....

Also, Donny threw in the front casting platform for FREE!

#20 ·
BD,

I carry too much stuff too. I get grief on all the trips. EXCEPT like year before Fishfinder broke his only rod on the trip and who did he run to to borrow a spare not to count the lures he borrows and if you get them back (at all) they are chewed up pretty badly. :) True fishing buddy. ;)

Look at this as an option that is cheaper and removable. You can go to Academy and get the cooler corner holders for 18 dollars (Same as your gas tank).

You can use these to put your cooler size needed between the leaning post and the motor or on the back side in the corner longways or possibly up front on the deck.

You can use it when you need it or take it off or look at using it up front as the ice and fish cooler and keep your weight forward and use the leaning post cooler for storage.

I had my Honda generator in the spot behind the leaning post and it rode like a champ Friday night. My son killed the schoolie trout. Great time. See my post on building options for night lights for your boat.

#25 · (Edited)
No BD I played with that problem and it is not one. Mine mounts on the right side so that you can slide the stick from front to back. At the moment mine sits with the top right next to the rise in the front deck and sit as close to the side as possible with the two holders. It has not been in the way yet.

I have one of the Bruce anchors that Donny sells with no chain and it is like my 2.2 lb kayak anchor. Sticks anywhere unless too hard a bottom like most anchors.
They are great anchors.

Fig 89 for the stake out stick and 35 for the anchor.

Where do you think you will place the spare cooler? Back corner or in the middle next to the transom?

Next thing I have to do is fig out a led 360 light and an easy way to run my old spot light and not pull the main battery down. I did it Friday night in about 20 minutes of running it plus a lot of start and stop trying to decide where to set the lights up.

Thought wire in a second battery for night lights and spot lights. I have never seen 14 to 16 inch trout like we did. They looked like rafts of mullet around the boat and spots. We kept 12 to 15 but probably caught well over 250 between the three of us. They were on for most of the night with the ripping tide. Threw all those bait you have in the box that you never caught a fish on. Even my son quit throwing tandem jigs and went to plugs

#26 ·
boon i mounted mine between the 2 cleats on the port side. the deck is still open and the stick secured- the power pole is cool- im just saying it isnt that bad to have a stake out stick on that lil scooter- it anchors easy-weight-no maint.-less cost, and you can anchor off the bow which is best in most cases- i think it the less weight is better if you get a rear platform- power pole is a great thing but just "bling" on a 16' scooter. my wife staked it out and it was only 5in in the mud and it still held the boat- i also like the idea of using it to get off a sand bar or something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.