2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Why is there a lack of posters on 2Coo

9K views 54 replies 35 participants last post by  Texashookset 
#1 ·
I have noticed a drop in activity. Where is everybody? Few reports.

#2 ·
its spiraling down, because other media is taking over and since 2cool charges and arm and a leg for "sponsoring" since exposure is decreasing so are sponsors, they invest in other platforms and without their support/reports new viewers not hanging around. so its all downhill.

got to agree it held up very very well for 2000s platform and still plenty of good folks here with real advice.

#34 ·
its spiraling down, because other media is taking over and since 2cool charges and arm and a leg for "sponsoring" since exposure is decreasing so are sponsors, they invest in other platforms and without their support/reports new viewers not hanging around. so its all downhill.

got to agree it held up very very well for 2000s platform and still plenty of good folks here with real advice.
I don’t hang out in here for the sponsors......I hang out to chit chat with you guys and pick some brains every once in awhile.....

#18 ·
thehulltruth.com

i believe THT is a much larger crowd, and I think more worldwide. excellent for technical support. you have a boat/motor issue, post up on thehulltruth and shabam. and that holds up for 2cool as well, but have noticed quicker replys there. if my logic is right, you have more players there, so reasons quicker on the draw. :texasflag

#4 ·
10 years ago You Tube, FaceBook, and the other social media aps were in their infancy, 2 cool was where everyone had to go and there was good information that was helpful. There is still good information on 2cool and the same squad of diehards,.. but since that time everyone and their brother have started Facebook groups and pages of their own and while I find those outlets much less informational, I guess people like the interaction and they get fast reponses.. albeit mostly inaccurate, out of context, and a lot of grab *** goes on with un moderated areas like that... but there's just too many places for people to go now.. so here we are with the diehard squad still here.

#8 ·
I'm with Grem and TroutSupport, tho I haven't posted any reports (not a lot people really interested in how well the gafftop, croaker and whiting are biting, which my grandboys are masters at catching them) I do find the reports and information to be right in line with the best coastline our great nation has to offer. TEXAS IS THE BEST!!!! I really like THT for other information and the sub forums are awesome for locating info and direction for boating experience/accessories, but there is no place like home... Pretty soon the boys will be moving up to catching quality inshore and offshore fish with some consistency and I am sure reports will be forth coming. Until then, I look forward to reading the experiences and wisdom of the "DieHards" from the general fishing and blue water forums.
P.S. I don't do the "Book of Faces" or have any use for it, I do understand it can be a powerful tool and a double edged sword,,, all at one time.... What ever happened to SmackDaddy? He actually had some pretty good advice at times.

#11 ·
I like it here, and I find a lot of useful information. It’s a shame some people get upset when you mention you caught a fish in (insert name of any bay) bay, because you’ve given away a secret place. I’ve had people share information with me and I really appreciate it. I don’t mind helping people when I can.

#14 ·
Well, my reason for not posting reports is because Ummm....I never get to fish any more! Other than that I don’t have an excuse besides being post lazy, I’m on here everyday. I still talk to my buddies like McCain, Zeitgeist, Sgrem, Blankczech etc. and fish and hunt with them when I can. I plan on starting to fish more again and with duck hunting approaching I’m sure I will post some sort of nonsense. And Smackdaddy is doing fine, he has a family and is guiding...Hail to 2Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Like mentioned above, lots of other platforms now versus 15 years ago. I post a report every now and then but not near what I used to for sure - getting older and having kids cuts into time spent on posting, lol. What's interesting is the OP is asking where all the reports are and hasn't put in a report in 7 years, lol.

#20 ·
I am one of the often missing. I have a ton of reasons but the simplest one is that Facebook is easier than going to three or four separate sites to keep up.

I follow a couple of boat manufacturer FB sites; a few guides that I've hired over the years; and a couple of specialty sites i.e kayak fishing; Texas City Dike etc.

The fact is that every site that I follow is instantly updated in one spot. It is convenient and quick, compared to spending extra time seeing if anyone posted lately on too many sites. Lazy, I guess.

There probably is some "deal" on the internet that would bring all of the recent comments onto one page from this and other sites, but I am too dumb to find it so far.

#26 ·
I go away for awhile, then have periods where I return...Kinda like herpes...My designated stalkers like it when I post as they drawn likes flies to chit to heckle, discredit, and pick apart any responses that I type...Much of what I say gets deleted also unless I go along with the popular direction of the mass majority

#31 ·
I'm off and on depending on work going on at the time, pretty streaky months here months there. I do, however, distinctly recall leaving for a while when the threads were being deleted because it was negative toward one of the sponsors. Some airboats were blasting through wade fisherman, and I personally had one flat out run over my decoy spread. I came in late to the threads but think somebody ID'd one of the boats and it was a sponsor and all of a sudden all the threads were gone.

#33 ·
Its not an unfamiliar situation with platforms such as this. Leadership has to really be strategic in considering the overlaying of ads and such (monetizing) the site and where the tipping point is that starts to turn off users and run people off. Facebook, Google and the like are very thoughtful and mindful of this approach and I've listened to Zuck talk about it in conference calls regarding quarterly results on their stock.

The folks that took over this site obviously missed that mark, misjudged the audience, and the advertisers and "smoked it".

2008 Meltdown - I remember being on the phone with Mont stepping up with cash to sponsor portions of the site and we were the leading sponsor on the "Fishing Reports" page for years. We weren't alone and we helped get it through to another place. Everything comes in cycles.

Double K

#35 ·
Its not an unfamiliar situation with platforms such as this. Leadership has to really be strategic in considering the overlaying of ads and such (monetizing) the site and where the tipping point is that starts to turn off users and run people off. Facebook, Google and the like are very thoughtful and mindful of this approach and I've listened to Zuck talk about it in conference calls regarding quarterly results on their stock.

The folks that took over this site obviously missed that mark, misjudged the audience, and the advertisers and "smoked it".

2008 Meltdown - I remember being on the phone with Mont stepping up with cash to sponsor portions of the site and we were the leading sponsor on the "Fishing Reports" page for years. We weren't alone and we helped get it through to another place. Everything comes in cycles.

Double K
what happened in 2008 so it needed "cash influx" ? its a standalone board for $250 one time payment, with few liftime enhancments $200-400 one payments?

only costs are dedicated server, since its before cloud, it probably ran few hundred a month bill. nowadays its close to $100 a month if it was migrated.

unless there are 100k a year making moderators, which would be silly because forums are usually moderated for free, because users are willing and feel honored to do so.

im just curious not bashing.

#44 ·
I’m gonna give it all I got to meet y’all there but going to the Frio September 18th-21st, Sunday was gonna be my recovery day. Gonna be whooped so it will definitely add to the Monday morning blues. Although Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner would definitely give me some incentive to back to the salt Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#45 ·
I still drop in here as it is my favorite site for fishing information and fun guys who like to fish the Texas coast. I have also met some great folks through the site, who I now consider friends. I think it has gone downhill since Mont gave it up. I am sure he had good reasons for doing so, and I am very thankful for all his time getting it up and running and keeping up with it. I still prefer message boards over facebook, but I am an OLD I guess, at this point.

I think we also lost a group of normal posters, when the last password SNAFU situation occurred and some of those folks probably found other ways to communicate about fishing.

Just curious....does anyone read the stuff that pops up on the front page when the site opens? I seldom see anything there that is of interest to me as a guy that fishes the Texas coast, or hunts in Texas, prior to clicking forums....and coming on in.

#50 ·
Just curious....does anyone read the stuff that pops up on the front page when the site opens? I seldom see anything there that is of interest to me as a guy that fishes the Texas coast, or hunts in Texas, prior to clicking forums....and coming on in.
I read the 2Coolfishing magazine Volume 2 Issue 3 every couple of months. Been reading it for 5 years now :mpd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.