2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

West Bay Boat Ramps

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  LL42L 
#1 ·
Are there any public ramps on the west side of Galveston island except on the other side of the pass?

#2 ·
west bay boat ramps

Galveston Bait and Tackle at the causeway which is a zoo right now.

Jamica Beach Subdivision has a public boat ramp but what the hours.

watermans at pirates cove used to have one, don't know if it is still there. can be shallow getting out.

#4 · (Edited)
Doug Pike is supposed to cover this very subject on his radio program this weekend.

You go to any other coastal city, and most have several city/county maintained ramps with easy access and ample parking.

We have ONE public ramp in Galveston on 61st, and turning out of there requires a PhD in geometry combined with good luck and the benevolence of motorists to let you in.

GBT should be called Galveston Guides Marina and Ice House (sorry guides, but you know it’s true).

The others are in a subdivision (Jamaica), or a private marina (Waterman’s), and being a novice traversing the bay out of / into either one of these is tricky.

TCD is a ways off.

Sorry for the thread hijack...it’s a touchy subject for many.

#10 ·
Doug Pike is supposed to cover this very subject on his radio program this weekend.

You go to any other coastal city, and most have several city/county maintained ramps with easy access and ample parking.

We have ONE public ramp in Galveston on 61st, and turning out of there requires a PhD in geometry combined with good luck and the benevolence of motorists to let you in.

GBT should be called Galveston Guides Marina and Ice House (sorry guides, but you know it’s true).

The others are in a subdivision (Jamaica), or a private marina (Waterman’s), and being a novice traversing the bay out of / into either one of these is tricky.

TCD is a ways off.

Sorry for the thread hijack...it’s a touchy subject for many.
So what did Doug Pike have to say?

#6 ·
Because the lot is long and narrow, you a) have to almost turn a 180, and b) you need more than one lane to turn into....and with inbound Galveston traffic on 61st you can wait a long time to get out. Then you get to go around several blocks to get turned back around and head out on 61st.

Yea, it can be done, but my point is You don’t have to do this in Matagorda, Port A, Rockport, Sabine, Corpus.....

#7 ·
Because the lot is long and narrow, you a) have to almost turn a 180, and b) you need more than one lane to turn into....and with inbound Galveston traffic on 61st you can wait a long time to get out. Then you get to go around several blocks to get turned back around and head out on 61st.

Yea, it can be done, but my point is You don’️t have to do this in Matagorda, Port A, Rockport, Sabine, Corpus.....
Oh no I agree 100%. I went down to Calcaseiu in Louisiana and that public ramp by that bridge right off of 1-10 is nicer and more convenient than any pay ramp in Galveston or surrounding areas. The only decent public ramps I use is Fat Boys and Chocolate 2004. But fat boys, you'll be walking down that pier at 5 in the morning and end your day real quick if you aren't careful. It's like no one maintains the ramps around here. You'd be better off with a 4 wheel drive backing off in the marsh somewhere.

Even down in POC.. Froggies is great and public... I dont understand why we cant get a place like that around here

#8 ·
61st can be a real PITA to get out, occasionally get lucky and take an illegal left turn out. Like any public ramp it’s always full of people fishing off the mooring dock, right next to the “No Fishing” signs, they’ll throw a line across your bow while loading and not even care.
I get spoiled up at Canyon Lake, we have something like 24 ramps, Galveston needs to do something!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.