2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Do I need to go big

4K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  TheKodiak 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Jayco 28.5RSTS fifth wheel. GVRW 10995. Plan to tow it about 12-15 times per year. Longest trip would be Houston to Las Vegas for example. Only one long trip per year. The F250 with a 6..2L looks like it would tow this weight well. Or, the real question, should I go big ($$$) and get a diesel? This is my first towable RV. Other than the fifth wheel, I have no plans to tow anything.

#2 ·
I would look at the pin weight the GVRW is not the governing number for moving from F-250 to the F-350. As far as going to the diesel its up to you but in the event you plan on towing in beyond the flat lands then you'll not like the results of the gasser.

#10 ·
I towed a Cougar 28SGS 5th wheel the same size with a 2500 GMC with 6.0 gas and 3.73 rear axle ratio. It did OK around here on flat land. Took it east to the Smokey Mountains and it was working hard. Screaming high RPM uphill being passed by everybody including 18 wheelers. Then I would pass them all back going downhill. I just couldn't handle the engine screaming and the stress of all the constant passing and repassing. Got back home and bought a F350 diesel. Then a bigger trailer. Then a new RAM diesel. Then a cabover. Then a RAM diesel dually.
Go bigger than what you think you need the first time.

#11 ·
Diesel is the only way to go, especially if going up any hills. The thing most people never calculate is how much junk you fill the travel trailer with . Water weighs 63 pounds a square foot, so ice, fresh water, holding tanks alone add a lot of weight , now add guns ammo beer, food, tools, soda, food, and before you realize what happened you got 2000 pounds of stuff .

#14 ·
Get the 1 ton because you just never know. Or, if you don't mind the constant up and down shifting go with the gas, if you want a constant rpm and constant gear get the diesel. 10k lbs is not much for a diesel but a lot for a gasser. If you decide to get a bigger trailer (and most do at some point) then you're already set up for it with the 1 ton deez.

#15 ·
Appreciate all of the comments. I just downsized from a 40 motorhome to the 28.5RSTS Jayco fifth wheel. I do believe this will be my final RV. Purchased a 2017 F250 Lariat, 6.2L, 4X4 for the tow vehicle. Compared to my Ford Edge and other 1/2 ton trucks I'm previously own, this is a beast from my view. To quote the President, "This is huge."

#17 ·

Do yourself a favor and get the diesel and never look back. It will eliminate the headaches. I tow my 40ft fifth wheel with ease. A dually wouldn’t be necessary as I got out of mine and went back to the single wheel. These new fords do everything with ease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I too was shopping for a more efficient tow vehicle for our 32' bumper pull. I initially started looking for a 3500 SRW, and I couldn't decide between a gasser or a diesel either. I felt the 3500 was too much, but I didn't have to question whether or not my vehicle could tow anything safely. Plus the prices are basically the same. Like the saying goes: It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Of course, the irony is I ended up with a 2500. No 3500's in the style I could live with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.