2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Jh outlaw , tran SVT shoalwater cat or haynie cat

30K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  SKIPJACKSLAYER 
#1 ·
Getting ready to purchase a boat , trying to decide which one has the dryest and smoothest ride in chop. Mostly fish east matagorda bay so nothing to rough maybe 2 footers on a bad day. My question is does anybody have any experiences they'd like to share about any of the boats above ?

#2 ·
I just picked up my Outlaw 230 this past Friday. Had it out in East Matagorda Saturday and it handled the choppy water very well, rode dry, and I was happy with the way it performed. I had only been in one on a horrible (30mph wind) day in West Bay and one other time when it was calm.

I test drove the Tran Cat 24SVT on a day with a little chop. It seemed to be somewhat smoother than outlaw and it was was a dry ride as well.

I have not been in the other two boats mentioned. I would definitely take the time to ride in all four of your choices and then make your decision. It was a tough choice for me between the Tran and Outlaw, both are outstanding boats.

#5 ·
I bought a JH Outlaw over the ShoalCat 23 specifically because it rode better in chop and had much better handling. I also preferred the layout, but, that's more subjective. I had planned on testing the Tran, however, after I met with John at Sport Marine I put a deposit down the next day.

#6 ·
Put me in the JH camp as well....had mine for about 4 months now and love it!

Rides well in a chop, considering it is a shallow water boat that is...certainly doesn't ride like a big V-hull....we are mostly in East Matagorda as well and it does really well for us.

Rides dry as well.....only spray (very minor) I have seen is in a following/quartering sea you get a touch of spray in the back of the boat.

Lots of room on the bow and stern, tons of storage......runs shallower than I want to go, but definitely not a speed boat (50mph is about it).

John/Lindsey and the gang have been awesome to deal with.....both before the sale, during the build, and post delivery.

Others you mentioned seem to be building a great boat as well...I don't have enough experience with them to speak positive/negative.....don't think you can go wrong with the Outlaw if that is the design you are looking for.

#9 ·
lump me in to the Tran crowd. I've had two Tran boats, the second being an SVT. While it's not the size you are looking at, it's still a dang fine boat. I keep doing business with the Tran family because of the outstanding product and also the customer service. Once you talk to Donny, TV or Frank, you'll know what I mean. They just treat you like family.

#14 ·
The Tran SVT is one of the best cats on the market. Tran has been building high quality boats for over 35 years and back their products with a level of customer service like no other. Out of the 4 boats you mentioned the SVT and Outlaw are the best hands down. Do yourself a favor and test drive before you buy.

I recently had a fellow 2Cooler contact me asking me questions about my SVT, come to find out he lives close by so I offered him a test ride on mine. We met up and I let the SVT do the talking ... lol

I'm in the Freeport, San Louis Pass area, if your in the area message me and we can go on a test ride.

#15 ·
Test Drive Them Yourself

This is why you need to test drive them for yourself.

While I believe Tran, Shoalwater, JH, and Haynie all make great boats...I test drove the SVT and Haynie on back to back days (actually had been in several SVTs and Haynie cats prior but still wanted to test drive the two I had it narrowed down to). My decision went with the Haynie.

Bottom line, test drive them for yourself. Different folks different strokes. If your're ever in Matty PM me and Ill gladly you take you for a quick run on my 23' cat.

Good luck, your in a good position to get to make a choice out of those 4.

#17 ·
All things being stated are true about ride and rig...it comes down to preference of course.
There should be no problem in demoing each rig.

We chose 23 Shoalwater Cat with 250 SHO and TRP.

That combo is sick, hyper skinny and eats up chop (we needed to have GoPro for last IFA, Not for crazy fishing but run across Corpus Bay @ 55mph, and going where a 14' scooter was running).

Most importantly is finding a dealer. I will stand that there is not a better dealer than ...
Waypoint Marine!!!! Go by and have them show you what the Shoalwater Cats can really do.

#19 ·
When I was looking at new boat the Hanie cat wasn't available and not sure about JH. Looked at SW and the limited storage and lack of interest of the dealer just turned me off. I love offshore so I had Capt Mike give a test ride a few miles out of Matty. I also tested the SVT in a choppy bay and boom I was sold. I have been 40 miles out as well as 6 inch flats. Talk about storage you can put a 5 gal pooper bucket in the front hatches. I can go on about great customer service as well. Lot of money you need to test them all. It's a lot of fun having a boat built to your specs

#20 ·
Consider where you will have to take it for service after the sale. No matter how good of a boat, they all will need repairing at some point. I would not enjoy having to drag a boat for 3 hours one way to get it repaired. Since you mainly fish East Matagorda, I assume you are close to both Transport Boats and Sport Marine (JH). Nothing but positive feedback on both of these families.

#24 ·
I ran every boat in the cat class . They all run super skinny and all performed admirably in chop . I think it comes down to taste . I too went with the Tran Cat . I loved the massive bow and the layout along with Donny's one on one customer service . I wasn't thrilled with the Shoalwater's storage . You have to add a raised console to get any decent storage . The Pescador was also a great boat with a silky smooth ride . The Haynie is another great boat . Something about the notched gunnel was kind of funky to me . The Dargel is a massive boat !!!!! I felt it has an identity crisis between offshore and flats boat (just my opinion). All the boats have great rough water manners though . My advice is to run them all . You'll find the boat that's right for you . We're so lucky to have all these custom builders in our area that make boats that'll run anywhere . You can't say that about Florida bay boats . They wouldn't fare very well at low tide where most of these boats excel .

#33 ·
Two things

I would be sure that what ever you get has no wood in the boat to eventually cause problems.

I have been on E Maty with 3-4 footers years ago when we got there and a norther came thru early and we had just jumped out of the Baby Cat around Hog Island with slicks popping every where when the storm blew thru. Took about 1 minute to turn to mud and waves. ;)

Not fun but it is what sold me on buying a Baby Cat that it would ease back across in that type of weather. Two inch sides and yes we got a little wet but it sold me on the Tran brand. They are good people.

Personally with that type of investment I would go try all 4boats to see for your self on what you like and do not about each then look at costs and everything that comes on the boat and go from there because depending on you and what you need.

#34 ·
Dreamer Here

And hope one day to buy another boat, bomanomics caused me to sell mine as I claw my way through month 5 and TWC benefits winding down. But I am curious - is there anyone out there making boats in this classification with wood? Having formerly owned the brand, I am well aware of old Makos with wood in the hulls. I would be surprised to see someone doing it in the modern age, however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.