2CoolFishing - View Single Post - Youth Rifle Set Up Question
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase4556 View Post
If it were me, I’d be looking at a compact or youth model in 243, 7mm-08, 25-06 or your 270 and 308 options. All solid performing, proven and easy to find ammo for.

Barrel length or it being a bull barrel isn’t a huge deal IMO, but for a smaller/younger shooter the youth or compact models should come with a shorter barrel making it a little easier to handle.

I wouldn’t add a muzzle break. All the calibers you would look at are mild enough, but a break makes them WAY louder. May cause flinching and someone can shy away from the muzzle blast.
I don't think a 270 is a good option for a youth, it is among the top of the ratings for velocity/energy for a rifle, so the recoil is pretty high.
Agree that heavy barrels or muzzle brake aren't needed or wanted in a youth rifle. If you can do it, a suppressor serves to reduce both recoil and sound, good thing.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote