2CoolFishing - View Single Post - Pringle fishkill
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Captain Kris Kelly just posted a first hand report about dead fish in Pringle. He describes it as "devastation". But the good news was that Contee and other lakes didn't seem to have a lot of dead fish, and neither did the outside shoreline. I still wish he had gotten some pictures, though. For comparison to past freezes, if nothing else.

For those that don't know Pringle, there is a long skinny strip of deeper water that runs right down the middle of the lake. My guess is that it was just deep enough to encourage fish to lay up there, but not deep enough to keep them alive in the kind of cold temperatures we had. Fish didn't try to hole up in Contee, so there aren't a bunch of dead ones there. No way of knowing if some of the dead fish in Pringle came there from Contee, but it seems likely.

I don't know how deep the middle of Pringle is these days, but I've heard that things have silted in a bit. Deep, but not deep enough is a bad combination. If all that is correct, it's a good illustration of the value of that thermocline, and the reason why barge traffic can kill a lot of fish.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote