2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Swapping to Spinning Reel

9K views 40 replies 30 participants last post by  Drundel 
#1 ·
Ok, very tired of clearing backlashes and casting for boat guests. lol I’m about to make the swap to spinning reels, but never have been a spinning reel guy. Which reel in the price range of 150-250? Also, which poles to pair it up with. Typical trout and redfish pole suggestions, please (nothing with too much backbone).

#2 ·
I have two faves: Daiwa Ballistic 2500 EX I use for my popping cork rig. I think they’re $180 ish. For my trout / red rods, I like my Shimano Stradic FK (now the FL) 2500, or Shimano Sustain 2500. Stradic will run you $180, Sustain about $300, but boy does it have drag.

#6 ·

Depends what your doing, throwing corks I like a little more backbone. Just whatever kind you would use for a baitcaster. It’s the same concept just different reel. The only time I don’t like spinning reels is when I’m wading deep or throwing topwaters and plugs.

#5 ·
Penn Battle II rods.... 6.5ft medium action.... they rod/reel combo usually comes matched pretty well for about $120.

If focusing on more live bait and not casting as much a 7ft Medium action.

Some disagree but i prefer shorter rods. Especially for guests/customers so they dont drag rods and lures across everything in the boat and hit each other and hook everything they aint supposed to.

Oh....and rig theirs with about 17-20 pound big game mono rather than braid.... they will fight it less.... giving a novice braid they tend to get wind wrapped around the rod and fouled on the terminal tackle etc....

#7 ·
I use Abu Garcia REVO2X30 reels with H20xpress (7', 8-17lbs) rods. The set up is about 160 bucks. The rods might be a little stiffer than you like but we use these for everything from croaker to redfish. Even take them offshore for dolphin.

#8 ·
The Penn Clash is a nice reel. Anodized aluminum body, so it's light. And I like the slow-oscillation level wind - I thing you get less line twist and "wind knots". It's not a true sealed reel, but they use gaskets to minimize water intrusion.

You can buy them NIB on Ebay for about $140 all the time. If you wait for the right time, you can get them about 10% less than that, so about $126. Amazon is about to start Prime Day tonight, so I expect some discount codes for Ebay to compete with that.

#12 ·
All reel models previously mentioned work well. There were at least two other spinner threads prior to this one that you may want to research where many suggestions were given and experiences shared. Those discussions were focused on the $100ish class of spinners. Your budget widens your choices, but quite frankly, those $100 class reels mentioned are great guest reels too.

I like Sgrem's mono suggestion and the reasons for shorter guest rods. The guests that I take out aren't experienced fishermen and they're less likely to care if it is a 6.5' vs 7.0' rod. The experienced ones don't care because they bring their their own equipment.

I'm partial to the Shimano HGFK for its build and smoothness. I have several of both the 2500 and 3000 series. 3000 series holds a little more line but it is the same size as the 2500. Ebay has the 2500 series for ~$147 right now.

The Falcon Coastal model is a nice rod for the guests. Med action for popping corks and ML for jigs and lighter arties. I like the Falcons enough that they're always in the lineup, even when guests aren't with me.

#13 ·
I use the Penn Conflict and Penn Clash in the 2000 size. You can find them online from $100 to $150 and you can't beat them for the price. I know a lot of people prefer a 2500 or 3000 size spinning reel, but I can assure you that a 2000 filled with 20# braid will handle anything your gonna catch in the bay. As far as rods go, it's personal preference. I have several custom rods, but I'm just as happy with my Castaways, Allstars, and Waterloos. Ever the cheep H2O Express rods will work. I prefer a 7' medium/light action for lures, but I also use 8' heavy action for corks or slinging croaker.

#16 ·
I like Penn Battle II 2500s and Daiwa BG 2500s. Both are great reels. If you hurry you can get the Penn Battle II 2500s for $56 on Amazon today. I just ordered a half doz more of them for when I finally wear out the set I am using now.

I disagree on braid vs mono. I use 30# braid on my spinning reels. Mine are loaners with tons of new and inexperienced anglers using them. I don't see any difficulties with them using braid but I do see them hook more fish with braid. Alot of new and inexperienced anglers have issues setting the hook and mono makes that worse. Yes braid has it's own set of issues but so does mono. The positives of braid outweigh the negatives to me.

For loaner rods I use Falcon Coastals. Solid rods for the money. Very durable, under $100 and they don't feel like a club. I use 7' and 7'6" medium actions. I like more length to help my guests with casting longer leaders when needed and to help them get a little more distance on their casts which is important when drift fishing. They are primarily throwing popping corks and shrimp and with a few minutes of coaching I can have most people throwing a popping cork far enough to catch fish.

We all have our own ways of doing things and our own preferences. So take it for what it is worth.

#18 ·
I second the Daiwa Ballistic and Shimano Stradic reels. I have twelve 3000's but I think the 2500 may be a better choice, at least in the Ballistic. I pair with Waterloo Salinity 7'6" WSS76MHM. Tackle Town in Rockport, and I assume other retailers, sell them with the trout and redfish slots marked on them so great for wade fishing. I load with 15# braid and 20# fluoro leader and you have great sensitivity in a light setup and can cast it a mile. Can turn and cast upwind without backslash also. I have tried several other rods, including Loomis and St Croix but I think the Waterloos have the best action. Great for trout and light lure fishing, and enough backbone for reds and drum. We caught a 25# jack on one last week and it handled the fight perfectly.

#19 ·
My tackle store guy says the Shimano Sienna 4000 is so popular,
they're having trouble keeping them in stock. Smooth as silk, and
they cost around $36. They're rugged; my customers abuse them,
some people can barely turn the handles, probably new at reeling.
Some have never fished before, in fact. I had a couple of other
guides fish with me, said they use the same reel model. They said if the reel
gets a dunking in the salt, throw them away and buy a new one.
In three years my set of reels have caught a great many trout and reds.
Also Spanish, bluefish, a few short cobia, etc. Anyway, just bought a
couple more, the last two in the store. We use 7-foot graphite spin rods
with them. 12-pound Berkley line. Good for slinging spoon, jigs and plugs all day.

I wouldn't dream of letting people use $150 reels; caca pasa.

Ok, very tired of clearing backlashes and casting for boat guests. lol I’m about to make the swap to spinning reels, but never have been a spinning reel guy. Which reel in the price range of 150-250? Also, which poles to pair it up with. Typical trout and redfish pole suggestions, please (nothing with too much backbone).

#21 ·
My tackle store guy says the Shimano Sienna 4000 is so popular,
they're having trouble keeping them in stock. Smooth as silk, and
they cost around $36. They're rugged; my customers abuse them,
some people can barely turn the handles, probably new at reeling.
Some have never fished before, in fact. I had a couple of other
guides fish with me, said they use the same reel model. They said if the reel
gets a dunking in the salt, throw them away and buy a new one.
In three years my set of reels have caught a great many trout and reds.
Also Spanish, bluefish, a few short cobia, etc. Anyway, just bought a
couple more, the last two in the store. We use 7-foot graphite spin rods
with them. 12-pound Berkley line. Good for slinging spoon, jigs and plugs all day.

I wouldn't dream of letting people use $150 reels; caca pasa.
Yep, I have a handful of these that we use off the dock and guest and kid reels in the boat. They have been absolutely abused and have caught tons of fish. They work just fine and won’t die. I use these too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-U-S-Re...F5XLeNC:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!77563!US!-1

#22 ·
Battle II
Shimano Sedona, Sienna or Nasci

All solid options that you wont go wrong with. The amazon deal day battle price was awesome, if I needed one I would have bought a few.

I'll second what others have said. 20-30lb braid with a mono or fluro leader. I've been using the KastKing braid off amazon for a few months and like it. Price is cheap too compared to others. Cuts cost compared to putting power pro or something on there.

Rods... that's up to you for the shimano options. But the battle combos would do just fine with the rod they supply.

#23 ·
Go on EBay and get'cha an old Mitchell 300. Look for the ones made in France. That means it's at least 40 years old, and probably over 50.

It will feel like you're grinding coffee compared to one of the smooth new Shimano's, but it will still be cranking away in another 50 years...

Of course, I'm kidding. Or, rather, getting nostalgic.

For millions of us, the Mitchell 300 was our first "real" fishing reel- and along with the Quick Finessa's, it was the top of the line- for a whopping $12-15.

They didn't have ball bearings so they did make a lot of noise as the bushings wore out. But they never crapped out. And they'd last forever if you kept Vaseline in them and replaced the $0.15 bail spring every few seasons.

Sadly, I'd bet those bail springs cost $5.00 nowadays.

#31 ·
Go on EBay and get'cha an old Mitchell 300. Look for the ones made in France. That means it's at least 40 years old, and probably over 50.

It will feel like you're grinding coffee compared to one of the smooth new Shimano's, but it will still be cranking away in another 50 years...

Of course, I'm kidding. Or, rather, getting nostalgic.

For millions of us, the Mitchell 300 was our first "real" fishing reel- and along with the Quick Finessa's, it was the top of the line- for a whopping $12-15.

They didn't have ball bearings so they did make a lot of noise as the bushings wore out. But they never crapped out. And they'd last forever if you kept Vaseline in them and replaced the $0.15 bail spring every few seasons.

Sadly, I'd bet those bail springs cost $5.00 nowadays.
Man I forgot all about Mitchell, I have a few of those stuffed away somewhere from many years ago, I think it may even have been my first spinning reel

Relentless

#24 ·
Another option, I have a KastKing Sharky 3 that I’ve been using a lot lately to see how it holds up. I’ve had it just over a year now and so far so good. New one is black and gold, like $75 on amazon and CLAIMS 40 pounds of drag.

Options are out there to keep things on the cheaper side.

#25 ·
I have been using Cadence fishing cs8 reels for the last year and a half.I have had every customer on the planet do everything bad to them they can.Drag em then in the water when wading has been something they like to do and I have yet to have a problem.I dont wash them either.Im terrible on equipment.They are light and built to last .U can seem them on Amazon or the website Cadencefishing.com I believe. I will never but another brand of spinning reel unless I just want another color .As far as rods I'm using the hookspit ricochet. Wanna say 59 dollars and pretty hard to destroy.All the above mentioned work as well.Cadence donates a rod and reel to the youth for every purchase made.Colorado based company.Good luck.

#26 ·
Is the amazon deal on the Penn Battle 2 still going on? Just recovered my password and looks but can't see them, thought I still had several hours on this prime thing.

Lots of good advice here from experienced fishermen...err fisherpeople...err whatever.

In your price range you can have the top end spinning reels. After about $250 market is mostly very high end reels for the discriminating fisherman who prefers grey poupon on his snapper prepared by the staff back at the fishing lodge. In all seriousness I would only be looking at anything over $250 if it was for an offshore reel constantly getting splashed with spray from the waves.

Habanerojooz recommendation on the all metal Shimano Stradic FK is spot on. I played with those several times at Cabelas and they are the bees knees and totally made for saltwater fishing, plus the machining and finish is first rate. I picked up a couple of Shimano Nasci and they are only about $100 and are just as smooth as the Stradic and definitely smoother than anything else in that price range, the Hagane gear really is a well machined product and you can feel the smoothness, like butter. Only downside on this reel is that the body is composite, but a tough composite and flexes much less than the "graphite" body of Daiwa Fuego LT, very tough. Also it has a hex handle versus a screw in which for some people is an issue but not me. It's light weight and even the 4000 series is about as light as a Penn 2500 reel. You can throw plugs and artificials all day with any of the sizes.

The Penn Battle 2 is an awesome reel and a total workhorse but some people complain about the line lay on this reel in particular and say it is uneven and can contribute to wind knots. The only difference between the Battle 2 and the cheaper Fierce 2 is one ball bearing and a nylon rotor versus a metal rotor, that's it. Metal body and internals all the same. The Conflict 2 is another option and is the lightest Penn reels which some people like and others don't like since they prefer the all metal body of the original Conflict. That original Conflict was a **** good reel and was an upgrade to the Battle 2, has an extra ball bearing, a little lighter than the Battle 2, better line lay, and a slightly higher drag pressure, plus the all black is cool. Picked up a new old stock 4000 reel and it is an exceptional reel. I got the wrong size and never even fished it. This one is for sale if anyone is interested, just PM me.

The Daiwa BG has had people creaming their jeans for a while and is a great reel and haven't heard a bad word about it so for especially for the price point. It is heavier like the Penns so make sure you order the right size.

So after all this I think the major choice is if you want a light reel or don't mind a heavier reel. If weight is an issue I would look at the Shimano offerings. If you don't mind the weight then the many Penn options or the Daiwa BG. I was going to say that some of the Pfluegers can be used in saltwater and have a good reputation or the Abu Garcia has a Revo Inshore spinning as well as a baitcasting reel but I didn't want to confuse an already overwhelming decision.

#27 ·
The only difference between the Battle 2 and the cheaper Fierce 2 is one ball bearing and a nylon rotor versus a metal rotor, that's it. Metal body and internals all the same.
And the drag is different. The Battle II has the HT-100 drag washers and the Fierce II doesn't.

On the Amazon Prime deal the Battle II 2500 was less than the Fierce II 2500. $56 vs $59.

#28 ·
penn battle's are my choice . 2500 and 3500 sizes . 12 or 15 lb braid . 6' to 7' medium to medium light rods . don,t know the brand , my son makes them for me . we catch all the usual suspects . specks , reds , flounder , and sheepies . tried a lot of cheaper brands , reels held up ok , but the anodizeing on the leading edge of the spool breaks down and chips off .

#30 ·
Never was much of a spinning reel fan, I've have had a few over the 30+ years of fishing, mainly using them when I had to, for ultra light baits/lures, and things like free-lining shrimp or hook/bait only for drifting, when ever the situation warranted the need.

I have a smaller Penn Fierce, and two of their larger Fierce 800 combos for guest rods / Kingfish rods, and they have worked well, seem good for the money.

I also have some bay size Garcia and Shamano spinning reels, no complainants there either.

The Penn Spinfisher and Battle, from those that have them and what I've read are excellent reels.

However, my love/hate for spinning reels all changed last year when I picked up a Penn Slammer III 7500 and Penn Carnage ll rod for my wife, for offshore.

I liked it so much I ordered the same setup for myself.

Those things are a beast, with 50lbs of drag, smooth, the same Dura-Drag their International's use, plenty of line capacity, almost 400 yards of 65lb.

They have become my default go-to setup offshore, even more than my Fathom 2 Speed. With the Slammer, have had no issue with large 30+" snapper, large Amber Jack, Kingfish, Cobie, big jack crevalle

Bottom fishing, jigging, trolling, sight casting, no issues

I've seen others catching Yellowfin, 300lb grouper, etc on even smaller ones like the 6000 series.

I looked at ALLOT of different brands last year before I purchased it, and read allot of reviews and fishing shows.

Some of the reels I looked at, already mentioned here, were really nice. A few of the brands I looked at had issues with them heating up on big tuna, one guys drag got so hot it melted the plastic on top of the spool, and other reported the drag plates needing to be replaced annually due to wearing out (an issue I've yet to have the privilege of having with any reel lol)

I looked at Van Stall, Talica, Daiwa, Shamano, some looked better than others, but in general they all looked good.

But when I looked at the Slammer, to me it just felt better, tight fit/finish. The Slammer kept staying in my top 3 list when looking, kept coming back to it

It's waterproof / IP68 rated, Dura-Drag system they claim won't ever wear out, holds plenty of line, etc.

So far, after putting it to the test, I'm glad I went with what I did and can see why the Slammer III won iCast as best spinning reel

If the 7500 is any indication of how well these perform it won't be my last, and I can see some smaller one in the near future for bays, jetties, chicken dolphin, etc.

I think allot of it is whatever feels good to you, allot of excellent brands already listed here, and doubtful you would go wrong with any of them.

Penn Slammer III 7500

https://amzn.to/32xOXne

Penn Carnage II Rod

https://amzn.to/2XNYRSR

Relentless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.