2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Shoreline Etiquette question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pocjetty 
#1 ·
If guys are anchored or poled down along a shoreline, whats the appropriate distance to give them? I was trying to find a spot along San Jose island in Rockport on Saturday...boats were either anchored up or poled down every few hundred yards for quite a ways from the light house on up. Nobody seemed to be drifting, so I just shut down and trolled in to the bank about 200 yards between boats and poled down...nobody flipped me off or yelled at me so I guess it was ok. :)

#3 ·
If they are polling don’t jump their line .. aka don’t get into the line they are heading.. dropping in to follow their drift is ok with more than 100 yards between y’all on Saturday . and 500 yards min-Friday .... unless they are really uptight types

As for anchored .. it depends on the spot .. being close at the end of the jetties is no biggie .. being close on the cuts at lighthouse is a no no..

Generally sat and Sunday is crowded.. during the week you have to give a lot of space

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Remember that a good angler is not going to jam the boat right up on the spot he wants to fish. He will pull in a bit up the shoreline, and then wade down to the spot he wants to fish. So if you see the waders facing/moving toward the north, don't run 100 yards north of them and pull in.

Look at it another way: suppose you plan on anchoring and wading toward the north. Would you park 100 yards to the south of another boat, and leave yourself only 100 yards to wade? Leave the waders at least as much space as you would leave for yourself, if you were behind them.

#5 ·
Yeah just pay attention to where they are wading if they've anchored and are wading. If they are anchored and fishing from the boat, then 200 is fine.

If some guy is poling, like josh said jump in behind them and fish off the shoreline away from where they were and the fish will not be alarmed where you are. Let the poling skiff keep going ahead of you.

#6 ·
Thanks guys...I probably should have been more clear..none of these guys were wading, all boat fishing and either anchored or power poled down...so they weren't moving at all. I know what's too close in bass fishing...just trying not to be "that guy" on the salt.

#7 ·
Thanks guys...I probably should have been more clear..none of these guys were wading, all boat fishing and either anchored or power poled down...so they weren't moving at all. I know what's too close in bass fishing...just trying not to be "that guy" on the salt.
That alone makes you alright in my book. You're never going to make everybody happy - especially people who remember a time when there was "hardly anybody out there" and think it should still be that way. The way you're thinking about it, you'll do fine.

I was anchored on some shell and a guy pulled up and anchored. I got to listen to how he played football in high school, but didn't get to play in college because his wife got pregnant. I think he was too close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.