2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Thanks to the VA

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mywifeshusband 
#1 ·
My BIL is a vet and homeless, I have met him only a couple of times since he lived out of state he also is on a 40% disability with the VA. Here is the long story

My BIL lived in Roswell with his mother until my MIL moved away. he has a slight mental disorder so it is hard to help him sometimes. This past spring he had a bypass and my wife had been trying to get him housing in Roswell for a long time but met with all kinds of resistance After a Quadruple bypass the VA put him back on the streets on a walker, which he is having problems with this leg so he can get around.

New Year eve after a long time of prayer to get him help, my doorbell rang and there he was. We let him into our home, showered him, gave him clothes. He did not want to sleep inside so he slept in his truck in front of my house. We took him to the office to stay and bought him a grill and means to cook so that he can have a warm meal. We took him food and more clothes and gave him electricity to stay warm.

Tuesday my wife got on the phone to try to get him housing, after a long and thought-out process we thought it might be better to get him a travel trailer to live in while we work on the housing. We looked at the FEMA trailers but I really thought they wanted too much money for them. I have looked at other options and am still looking. I want to tell you, it is hard to find housing for someone in these days and times.

My wife continued to call so she started back over, calling the VA where she originally started, he talked to a gentleman ho had another lady contact us. Shortly she called and this started the whole process. (here are my brownie points to the VA) We met her at the VA to register him yesterday, then we went over to 1418 Preston to start his housing voucher. This sweet lady went from the VA to Preston to walk us through the system.

He has to return to the VA Friday to get screenings and back to Preston Monday for other things and tests again at the VA. The system in place currently will help him get a housing voucher but it may take up to 90-days.

My hat is off to the VA for helping those on the street, if it weren't for the VA I am not sure where he would be. Thanks to the sweet lady that help him so well, she went out of her way and it made me proud to be an American. I cant remember when someone helped a person or persons in that way, its been a long time. I will only ask my BIL to pay it forward and help others.

If it were not for here we would still be on the phone trying to get help. Now the only thing we need to do i look for him something to get him off the street until the voucher.

Hat Off!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My hat is off to you and your family, Mike.. Lotsa folks would have just sent him on his way on his own...

The VA really does do a lot of good for a lot of Vets with some real problems...

Kudos to you...and the VA....

#3 ·
We found a travel trailer today and are moving it in shortly. This will only be temporary until they get him his voucher. Now I'll get some guys over to set up the electrical, water, and sewage.

Also thanks to my good friend for selling this to us.

Closer than ever

#4 ·
Homelessness among veterans is a huge problem, its good to see one getting the care they deserve. My hats off to you for helping him out! Shoot me your email in a PM and his location and I'll send you some additional resources that may be able to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.