Suffside marina save the day.
We packed up and headed out for a short run yesterday, and had swords on our mind. On the way out sea was smooth 1-2's with scatter rain. About 60 mile out, mother nature had her change of mood and more rain starting to pop up, so we decided to change our plan to grouper fishing. Got to our first spot it was dead. So we move to our next spot and it looks promising on the sounder. So I was getting ready for our drift, put one motor into gear but the boat did not move. ( not good.) I told the crew, " It's time to head in, it's going to be a long ride." I put the other motor into gear to go forward. (no good). But I still have my reverse in this motor. So I reverse the boat to the nearest oil rig and tied on. It's time to let the coast guard know we are going to be in danger real soon because I can see a big storm heading our way. I got on the sat phone with them, gave them our location, and ask for help. They said no because it's not an emergency, and when my boat is taking in water then call them back. So I call tow US and they said 70 mile is too far, call sea tow and they reply the same. These towing companies did nothing for me except wasting my minutes. So I got on the radio and called out for help. I got a respond right away from Capt. Tony on the Boatruck #33.(Big supply boat) Give him my GPS location and he showed up in 15 min. The wave started to pick up to 3-4's right when Capt.Tony showed up, and our rig hook just broke. We start to drift, and the Capt. said he is going to pull up next to us so we all can get in his boat to stay dry. I Got on the phone again and try to find some one to tow us in but still no luck. My buddy say try calling Surfside Marina where we have our boat stored at. So I call and Sherry picks up, I ask her can she get someone to tow us in because our boat broke down. She ask for our location and she did send someone out to tow us in. Two and half hours later John and Sontos showed up. John try to fix the problem but without tools he really can't do much. I have Yamaha f350s and both engines run fine but just will not go into gear. We can't bypass the shifter to run home because they have electronic shift, so they have to tow us in. It was a long night. They started towing from 7pm and we got to Suffside marina at 5am.
I would like to say thanks to the best marina in Texas, they also have the best staffs. They had gone out of there way to help me and my crew. It does not get any better then this. Also thanks to Capt. Tony for letting us on your boat and for some great times. Every one made it in safe.
Ps. As for safety every one in the boat have there life jacket on, life raft, ditch bag is sitting next to us just incase if we need to used it. And a knife to cut the line if the wave get worse.