2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Simms waders

7K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  c hook 
#1 ·
Need some reviews on SIMMS G4z waders. Thinking of taking the plunge, and buying these expensive waders, but before I do, I would like to see what you guys (who own one) think about them. How warm are they on very cold water? and how well do they hold up to salt water?

#2 ·
My first G4Z wader lasted through nine years of pretty serious fishing and waterfowl hunting abuse. Sent them back during the off-season because the zipper began seeping water just slightly toward the end of spring season. Got report that they were not repairable under warranty (partially due to age and also due to generally heavy wear all the way around) but Simms extended a 40% discount opportunity on a new pair. So - I'm warm and dry in my second G4Z wader.

#3 ·
I have the G3's and I'm super happy. So I can't imagine how much better the G4Zs are from a wader aspect.

All breathable waders have no insulation and that allows you to control how many layers you have to insulate out the cold. Water below 50 use fleece and wool thermals and maybe even 1 more layer just for bulk. Water in the upper 60's I'll probably just have jeans on.. Yes, yes there are those that say cotton is horrible insulator... but when the water is that near 70 degrees, it just doesn't matter. Water temps in the low 70's in the spring and fall I might have shorts on. What I'm saying it there is tremendous ability to vary what you use underneath and you control how 'warm' you are with layers and what type of layers.

#4 ·
Good post. I was also going cheap, after a few trips the thigh would be damp, then next year it was much worse. By year three you would be soaked after five minutes. Went through this three times and one day I met a guy fishing and he was wearing Simms. Said there is no price for comfort, and when I told him I was ok with a quart of water if it meant 400 bucks in my bank account he mentioned he will not have to change into dry clothes when he gets done fishing that day like I would have to.

So I got the G3 for 499.99 and have been dry and happy for a few years. Worth every penny.

#6 ·
I'm on year 4 with my G3's. I recently bought the G4Z's because I'm getting old and I very much like my coffee in the morning. :wink: To me, the G4Z's feel like the G3's once they're on. Take the plunge. You'll be very happy that you did.

As troutsupport mentioned, you need to layer up underneath. I like Under Armour Cold Gear 2.0 or 3.0 as my base layer with additional clothing layers as needed.

#7 ·
I don't have the Z's, but I am going on 7 or 8 years with my G4's. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything wrong with them. I just rinse with fresh water after each use and hang to dry. Have duck hunted and fish in them very regularly from fall-spring. Some of my buddies won't listen and keep buying pair after pair of cheapos. They have paid just as much as I did for my G4's and have had a fraction of the quality/comfort. I wear a thin baselayer on warmer days and then add some fleece sweatpants on colder days and I have never been cold. The key in the cold is to make sure you have the right size wade boots that don't cut off circulation to your feet. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
from freestone to g4z

so i wanted a pair of zipper waders, i purchased the freestones for $399.00. they leaked out of the box so i sent them in for repair, they were not repairable. this was early in the year and the new redesigned freestones were supposed to be ready now. they moved the release date to june next year, so they offered me to the only other zipper waders they have, g4z and split the difference. $600.00 for a new pair of g4z's. now they are making them, should be here Dec 21. Just in time, looking forward to them. :walkingsm:texasflag

#16 ·
???

so i wanted a pair of zipper waders, i purchased the freestones for $399.00. they leaked out of the box so i sent them in for repair, they were not repairable. this was early in the year and the new redesigned freestones were supposed to be ready now. they moved the release date to june next year, so they offered me to the only other zipper waders they have, g4z and split the difference. $600.00 for a new pair of g4z's. now they are making them, should be here Dec 21. Just in time, looking forward to them. :walkingsm:texasflag
they are shipping on the 21th, and should be here on the 22nd. what are the chances UPS will deliver the 22nd?? :headknock

#14 ·
A late post here and I do not have experience with the model of waders you are using, but I just wanted to say that Simms is a stand-up company and their customer service is excellent. I am about to ask them to convert my custom neoprene stocking foot waders (for use in Alaska), to boot foot waders, in case I can use them in Texas in the wintertime.

#15 ·
Nooooo!
Boot foot waders are awful.
The stocking foot is the way to go. Walking in mud the wade boots stay on your foot much better. And walking in shell (which is where you should be to catch fish) tears up boots fast. Your waders only last as long as your boots do. So you get the best of both worlds.

Do yourself a huge favor and keep them stocking foot with wade booties.

Wading in boot foot waders is miserable.

#17 ·
Nooooo!
Boot foot waders are awful.
The stocking foot is the way to go. Walking in mud the wade boots stay on your foot much better. And walking in shell (which is where you should be to catch fish) tears up boots fast. Your waders only last as long as your boots do. So you get the best of both worlds.

Do yourself a huge favor and keep them stocking foot with wade booties.

Wading in boot foot waders is miserable.
Sorry, I forgot to say that I would only be using these waders in fresh water for trout. I don't use waders in the LLM. If it's too cold to wet-wade, then I stay in my skiff.

#19 ·
not a happy camper

so my G4z's arrived yesterday. they are absolutely awesome as i have never owned such a high end piece of equipment. only one problem, at the end of each step, my foot jerks the back of the waders as if they are too short. the ms is a medium small designed for a 31/32 inseam. my inseam is 32 and i think they are two short. need a 33/34 inseam, sucks i need them now. so i'll have to wait for them to open. i bought a pair of new simms in march of this year and still do not have a pair of waders???:headknock

#22 · (Edited)
exactly

I gave them my inseam, 32, but the formula didn't work this time. i actually called in and spoke with a young lady who took the order for my measurements, chest, inseam and foot. i need a 33/34 inseam I'm assuming. either way these feel way too short, and i'm out until i can talk with them Wednesday. otherwise they fit fine and are nice. like a kid in a candy store, impatient. i guess life isn't all that bad if this is my biggest concern: texasflag

#25 ·
right

that makes more since.

so I ordered and paid for a second pair of G4Zs, in an attempt to expedite the process. yesterday they shipped a medium, which is the exact chest and foot size as the ms, but has a 33/34 inseam. I was told they'd be here by the weekend, this was important. The tracking number is now showing a Wednesday the 2nd delivery. I called the Simms warranty department and Tiffany answered, the same lady that took the order. Most of the staff is off and they are short handed, she is having to carry the load. She checked the shipping, and said she sees the same thing I am. she then said they may update and change the shipping/tracking info later in the day, but it doesn't look like they have as of yet. She did her job but UPS is overloaded this time of year, it's impossibly for them to keep up. so now it's a waiting game, patched another leak in the old simms around the boot, may be forced to use them once or twice more. oh and I shipped the mss in for a refund, they said they would credit my card when they arrive. :texasflag

#28 ·
saga continues

the freestones are not made in Montana at the Simms home office/factory, but in china. Mine leaked out of the box.

got my 33/34 inseam G4z's, drove down to a local wade area (seabrook/kemah) and made a quick wade. they had a leak out of the box. i bought some sealer, did the simms alcohol trick to locate the leak. it stuck out like a sore thumb. patched it, and since I've made two sun up til dark wades and no leaks. but they are going back for a new pair as soon as i find a bad weather window. i don't get it, but it is what it is.

to answer the freestone question, i'd go that route. the g3's r 4's aren't necessary. the freestones work just as well, as long as they don't leak. i was told they won't be available til June, is that not the case. the only reason i've got g4z's is because of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.