2CoolFishing

2CoolFishing (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/index.php)
-   Boating Forum (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2020 Yamaha SHO (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2658401)

WhiteSquall 11-17-2019 05:41 PM

2020 Yamaha SHO

Been searching all over here and the internet and seen a few with similar questions but still want to ask the 2cool braintrust..

I have a 115 SHO runs great starts right up, but seems like when I start it up it can take a good 20 seconds to start seeing good flow from the tell tale...sometime it seems to even be a bit longer. I am about halfway to the first service and talked to the mechanic at the dealer about it he says normal. All I know is it seems like an eternity sometimes, no alarms and runs smooth. I haven’t ran it real shallow yet so haven’t picked up anything that could be blocking, I noticed this the first time I cranked it brand new on the maiden voyage...

Has anyone else had similar experience with the length of time to start seeing flow from the tell tale on a newer SHO?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvansMarine 11-17-2019 06:14 PM

It’s normal, it take a little bit to fill block and heads then out to hose

C.Hern5972 11-17-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteSquall (Post 23820937)
Been searching all over here and the internet and seen a few with similar questions but still want to ask the 2cool braintrust..

I have a 115 SHO runs great starts right up, but seems like when I start it up it can take a good 20 seconds to start seeing good flow from the tell tale...sometime it seems to even be a bit longer. I am about halfway to the first service and talked to the mechanic at the dealer about it he says normal. All I know is it seems like an eternity sometimes, no alarms and runs smooth. I haven’t ran it real shallow yet so haven’t picked up anything that could be blocking, I noticed this the first time I cranked it brand new on the maiden voyage...

Has anyone else had similar experience with the length of time to start seeing flow from the tell tale on a newer SHO?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

Its normal. I have a 2017 200-SHO and it does the same thing

HillCountry-Ford-Kawasaki 11-17-2019 10:44 PM

The only way you may get it to appear faster is to make sure your motor is jacked all the way down on the jack plate (ensuring the actual water pump is below the water surface). This helps it prime a little faster. You can also get the water pump housing "decked". Call Premier Yamaha in Aransas Pass if you do not know how to do it. This will also get you about 2-3 psi more water pressure at WOT and with jack plate at higher levels while on plane.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

EvansMarine 11-18-2019 06:34 AM

2020 Yamaha SHO

I prefer using our Werx Pump impeller. It’s a taller impeller that takes air out of cup and creates suction and will not cavitate. Been selling them for over 10 years now and doesn’t require any modifications to pump housing or decking of cup. It’s as easy as replacing a impeller. Works on all Yamaha 2 strokes 115-300 and 4stroke 150-250 and all 4.2l including 300

Csafisher 11-18-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvansMarine (Post 23821089)
I prefer using our Werx Pump impeller. It’s a taller impeller that takes air out of cup and creates suction and will not cavitate. Been selling them for over 10 years now and doesn’t require any modifications to pump housing or decking of cup. It’s as easy as replacing a impeller. Works on all Yamaha 2 strokes 115-300 and 4stroke 150-250 and all 4.2l including 300

Interesting. Never heard of that. But I’ve never owned a Yamaha. Would decking have any benefit on a merc?

EvansMarine 11-18-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Csafisher (Post 23821123)
Interesting. Never heard of that. But I’ve never owned a Yamaha. Would decking have any benefit on a merc?

Never tried on merc’s

Bobby Hill 11-18-2019 09:28 AM

My uncle has a 18' SHO 115 on his boat and it does the same thing, 20 or so seconds for it to pee is normal for his as well.

cottonpicker 11-18-2019 10:36 PM

I have been running Boat Werx impeller for years now. So much easier than sanding down the water pump housing. I highly recommend them.

WhiteSquall 11-20-2019 02:15 PM

2020 Yamaha SHO

Thanks for all the info guys! Gave me some peace of mind then had her out there on Monday...ran great to a few spots. Then when I was in the middle of East bay started up...nothing nothing nothing...was watching the digital temp on the tach tick up got an alarm (second time now) so I shut it down let it sit started it back and it started out of the tell tale right away.

Unfortunately something just doesn’t seem right so I guess I’ll take her into the shop. I’ve never had the chance to run the boat shallow just yet and so far the jack plate has always only been about 1/3 up with all the lower unit etc in water with motor trimmed down yet seems to still cause an issue such as throwing this alarm.

Will update once they take a look!