2CoolFishing

2CoolFishing (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/index.php)
-   General Fishing Discussion (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Galveston??? (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2650705)

genedfd 08-26-2019 04:23 PM

Galveston???

Staying at SanLouis in Galveston,and want to wade,surf, jetty,? some .Any suggestions on where, bait, etc.I have jig heads with paddle tails,live and cut bait rigs,and popping corks. help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gene

gm 08-26-2019 04:41 PM

Live shrimp and croaker have both been doing well in the surf lately.

gm 08-26-2019 04:42 PM

As for where, just drive the seawall and look for birds / bait working.

genedfd 08-26-2019 04:47 PM

Thanks!

c hook 08-26-2019 08:33 PM

conditions

if the surf is calm, you can wade in off the beach. just move a mile or so from the pass, the pass has hazardous currents and undertows. and there are multiple beach access points, north/east of pass. but chances are it will be too rough for the surf. if so from a boat, you can anchor on either side of the bridge itself, and throw jigs/tails around the pilons. a heavy jig head will most likely be necessary as the current rips thru there. or fish this area with bait. cold pass is a good area, and the bank/shoreline across from bird island.

the south shoreline of west bay has several areas to walk in from the neighborhoods, just north or east of the pass. good fishing there as well. you just have to drive around that area and explore. :texasflag

ReedA1691 08-27-2019 08:36 AM

The San Louis Hotel is not really close to San Luis Pass (SLP), but in case you want to go there, heed the warning above; dangerous to wade near there.

Any stretch of beach along the Gulf Coast of Texas can hold fish. It is just a matter of finding the right stretch. Like said above, you can drive along, look for birds and then fish that area, but you need to be set up to relocate without changing in and out of your wet clothes. We called that hit and run fishing - drive the beach, see birds and/or bait busting, get out and fish then move to the next spot. Everyone I know has too nice a vehicle to do that anymore.

Rock groins are up and down a lot of the seawall. They are small jetties and are popular places to fish. Whiting, sand trout, specks, reds and the occasional jack crevelle or pompano can be caught from them and you don't have to get wet.

Surfside jetty. This is a long jetty and almost half of it has a nice paved sidewalk on it. Great fishing, but big crowds of pushy and cantankerous people.

We're just entering the fall bull red run, where the big spawners pull in close to the surf near passes to release their eggs to be fertilized and then washed by the tides into the bays, so there may be some early arrivals. A big surf rod, a heavy weight and some cut bait (mullet is good but any fish or squid will do) can yield some fun times catching these behemoth spawners. You won't want to keep the one you are allowed unless it's barely over the 28" mark and you like eating big redfish.

mccain 08-27-2019 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i'm eyeballin' friday as a possible surf fishin' hooky day. 1' seas

stumpgrinder3 08-27-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccain (Post 23780933)
i'm eyeballin' friday as a possible surf fishin' hooky day. 1' seas

hope it has time to settle. its pretty tore up right now

Blk Jck 224 08-27-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReedA1691 (Post 23780753)
You won't want to keep the one you are allowed unless it's barely over the 28" mark and you like eating big redfish.

I agree with this if you are going to freeze the fish...If eating fresh within the next few days, I keep them up to 34"-ish...Fillet off of skin...There is about a 2-3" blood line that needs to be cut out all the way down the fillet in the center...Cross section the remaining two peices into 'fish stick' strips...Put in gallon zip lock, pour in a bottle of Cajun Chef LA hot sauce, & let marinate overnight...Batter & fry the next day...I'd rather eat that over speckled trout