2CoolFishing

2CoolFishing (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/index.php)
-   Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing) (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What Can I Catch? (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=52357)

G-Unit 02-16-2006 10:18 PM

What Can I Catch?

A few friends and I are going to go out on the big pond next Saturday. We want to hit some state snappers. We will be going out of Freeport. I have a few questions that I hope some of you seasoned veterans can answer...

1. Are there any good sports for state snapper without a long run from Freeport?

2. What other types of fish should we plan to target?

3. If the snapper bite is bad what would you do?

I only started fishing last year and have done several party boat trips and have even done a charter from Venice (we did not get a single bite). I have such a bad craving to put a line in the water and wait for that pull.

I used to fish freshwater but will now never go back.

I want to slowly get a boat and get more involved.

I have never been addicted to anything as bad as this!!

Thanks for any answers!

G

Argo 02-16-2006 10:21 PM

hmm

DRSHARK 02-16-2006 10:31 PM

What to do?

Argo, you ought to be ashamed! G-Unit, It would be a good Idea for you to find someone who will take you out and you just do whatever they tell you to do. You really need to get out a few times ie. Cattle boat, charter, or with a bud. There is no way anyone on this board can answer all the questions that need answering at this stage of you fishing. There are just too many different species out there and the tackle and techniques are extremely varied and cost is enough to get you shot by a wife. I've fished for 55 years and don't have the slightest idea of how to discuss it all in any reasonable time frame. You need to narrow it down to something much more specific than the big Pond. Some one might even think you are talking about Lake Conroe or Toledo Bend. Wish I could do better. Drshark

G-Unit 02-16-2006 10:34 PM

Thanks DrShark...
I am going on a charter and will hope we hook into something. What season do you find that the kings start moving closer to shore? I read your posts and I truly enjoy them.

Thanks for yout reply...

DRSHARK 02-16-2006 10:40 PM

Kings in Close?

W/in 20 miles, Summer. Now that is a specific target and you could start asking about Kings and get a lot of help. I can't help you with kings cause I would pay the group not to have to go fish for kings. But its a good place to start. I remember when I felt differently about Kings. But there are some King fishing fools on this board and they will go out of their way to help you. Drshark

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Unit
Thanks DrShark...
I am going on a charter and will hope we hook into something. What season do you find that the kings start moving closer to shore? I read your posts and I truly enjoy them.

Thanks for yout reply...

Marlintini 02-16-2006 10:53 PM

kingfish.....

we should save this question for monday.

BigGulp 02-17-2006 12:36 AM

I Feel Your Pain

G,

I can sympathize with ya' bro. My addiction began a little less than a year ago with a charter trip that seemed innocent enough at first. However, 6 months later I have a boat and anyone that knows me can attest to the fact that I'm a lost cause. Since I was recently going through the phase you're currently in, I'll try to help you out with your questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Unit
1. Are there any good sports for state snapper without a long run from Freeport?

2. What other types of fish should we plan to target?

3. If the snapper bite is bad what would you do?

G

1. Yes, however asking for good spots on a public forum is kinda like going to the dance and boldly asking "Would any of you beautiful ladies like to come home with me tonight?" It just doesn't work that way. Finding good spots takes some work. I'd suggest you contact Rik Jacobsen (RSnap on this forum) and purchase his book or maps. He would probably give you some hints on where to start.

2. Depends on how far you're willing run. In state waters you might be able to find some bull reds. If you go 40-70 miles then you can start getting into Amberjack, grouper, kings, & wahoo (depending on water conditions).

3. a) Whine about shrimpers and commercial fisherman killing all the snaps b) pop open a beer :cheers:

mahiseeker 02-17-2006 01:11 AM

G-Unit, There's nothing slow about getting a boat. You've got the fever like the rest of us, it depends on how stocked your bank account is. It costs a lot of money-period. I have a boat for sale, if your ready, because I'm going bigger. If you want to get out & fish, there's a lot of guys here that would probably take you along, me included. But expect to pay for gas, bait, & ice at the minimum. I have a lot of friends that want to catch fish, but when it comes time to pony up for the trip, they pull out their excuse book. Needless to say their fishing on dry land from now on. Also, don't expect the boat to turn around when your 40 miles out, & you start chumming. Lastly, if you get out on somebody elses boat, don't expect to sit back & hug the ground, when it comes time to clean the boat. If this sounds harsh, I don't mean to, it's just when your the boat owner, you'll know what I mean. It's a different story when your taking babes out, expect to pay for everthing, & do yourself a favor, fork over another $30, & let some kid clean up the boat. Aloha!

CHARLIE 02-17-2006 07:59 AM

If he is going on a charter boat then he just needs to ride and drop his line when they tell him. If they caint fid any snapper he should ask them to catch some big reds (catch and release). That shouldnt be too hard. Didnt get the impression he was gonna run way out.

Charlie

Angler 1 02-17-2006 08:16 AM

If snapper is slow. Than you can fish at the jetties for Reds, Drum, and sheepshead which should all be biting right now. Be careful with some of the info you get here, some of it should be taken with a grain of salt.