2CoolFishing

2CoolFishing (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/index.php)
-   Line Class Forum (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Is Braid line easier to get tangled or backlash? (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2275658)

joeletx 05-15-2017 11:49 AM

Is Braid line easier to get tangled or backlash?

I got backlash with 30 lb line that I could not undo last weekend. It was so bad that I ended up cutting the whole spool and replacing it with 14 lb mono. It seems like a slight mistake with the braid line ends up in a big mess. Luckily the fish was not biting so I had time to redo the spool with mono.

bigfishtx 05-15-2017 11:56 AM

Tangles are much harder to get out with Braid than mono, IMO. I am sure you will hear differently though.

Sgrem 05-15-2017 12:58 PM

Braid can be less forgiving. Makes it much more critical to understand and have reel settings match the bait/conditions.

If getting backlash when it hits the water tighten the cast control on the right side.

If getting backlash mid cast when bait is in the air move out some of your spool cast control weights on the left side. You will need to do this also if the wind picks up. (Most modern reels have a click turn dial. Make it a higher number. It has same effect using magnetic controls.)

With mono we used to back off some to get a little more distance. Don't do that with braid. It's unnecessary and the braid is too unforgiving to do that. Also unnecessary as the braid will give you great distance as is when set right. Any possible gains are negligible and will be punished with the slightest mistake. Hope that helps.

joeletx 05-15-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrem (Post 20812858)
Braid can be less forgiving. Makes it much more critical to understand and have reel settings match the bait/conditions.

With mono we used to back off some to get a little more distance.

I made this mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

just plain bill 05-15-2017 03:03 PM

nanofil is an interesting line....i've been using it with great results... 17lb

Gottagofishin 05-16-2017 09:47 AM

Reel settings are key, but I don't find braid backlashes any more problematic than mono backlashes. The key is not to pull to hard and just work it a little until it loosens up.

Capt. Kurt Gowdy 05-18-2017 11:38 AM

Sounds like to me you didn't back the spool with anything and the braid slipped at the spool.

I had a friend rig up three new concepts with powerpro and no backing and his first cast created a mess. The backlash is deep on the spool and impossible to get out.

My personal preference is the back with a strip of electrical tape.

joeletx 05-18-2017 03:49 PM

Backing tape

I did noticed the backlash point went deep down into the line mess. So if I back up the bare spool with electrical tapes, how many wrap is sufficient?

Sgrem 05-18-2017 04:05 PM

I use mono against the spool for at least two full wraps across.

dk2429 05-18-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrem (Post 20842298)
I use mono against the spool for at least two full wraps across.

I've always heard of people doing this. What is the actual purpose in doing this?