2CoolFishing

2CoolFishing (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/index.php)
-   BBQ & Grilling Forum (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Hooking up NG to grill / NEED HELP! (https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=309289)

shimanoman08 11-02-2010 09:05 PM

Hooking up NG to grill / NEED HELP!

Just bought my 1st gas grill EVER today. I have refused to buy a gas grill for the past 10 years, cause I just enjoy charcoal cooking, smoking, etc...I bought the NG conversion kit for the gas grill. ARe there any 2coolers out their that won't mind showing me what I need ( gas fittings, NPT fittings, etc...) to run a line from the meter to the grill. I live in League City ( South Shore ). Thanks a bunch.

qapd 11-03-2010 05:23 PM

Shimanoman08,

Look at the gas meter, you should have a 1/4" or 3/8" pipe plug on the house side of the meter. Turn your gas meter off and remove the pipe plug. You will need a short nipple, gas valve, compression fitting that fits the gas valve to 3/8" compression fitting. Use teflon tape on all threads. Purchase enough 3/8" copper tubing to reach your grill installation. Look at the gas connection on the grill. You will need another compression fitting that will fit the grill to 3/8" compression fitting. The grill is usually 3/8" pipe threads. Make sure all your connections are tight, turn on the gas, test all connections with soapy water a solution. You should be good to go after that.

shimanoman08 11-17-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qapd (Post 3099370)
Shimanoman08,

Look at the gas meter, you should have a 1/4" or 3/8" pipe plug on the house side of the meter. Turn your gas meter off and remove the pipe plug. You will need a short nipple, gas valve, compression fitting that fits the gas valve to 3/8" compression fitting. Use teflon tape on all threads. Purchase enough 3/8" copper tubing to reach your grill installation. Look at the gas connection on the grill. You will need another compression fitting that will fit the grill to 3/8" compression fitting. The grill is usually 3/8" pipe threads. Make sure all your connections are tight, turn on the gas, test all connections with soapy water a solution. You should be good to go after that.

Yes there is a 1/4'' plug on the house side of the meter. I guess my question is: once I tie into this tapped area of the meter what size pipe do I run to the grill. I have a bunch of 1/2'' sch.40 black screw piping out here at work that I can use. I have about 60' that I need to run from the meter to the grill. Will the 1/2'' pipe be too much pipe over a 60' run to carry the needed back pressure to burn correctly in the grill. Or should I use 1/4'' piping from the meter to the grill. If I use 1/4'' piping there will be no need to swedge up from 1/4'' x 1/2''. Either way you look at it I have swedge up at the meter 1/4'' to 1/2'' and the swedge back down to 3/8'' once I get to the grill cause the grill is 3/8''. Thanks once again 2coolers.

boat_money 11-17-2010 01:31 PM

centerpoint will do it for you. heck they'll even supply the grill and then bill you for it.

shimanoman08 11-17-2010 02:16 PM

Ya I bet Centerpoint will do it for me. I have heard of some nasty stories of this piping job costing anywhere from $500-$2000 to install. I guess I'll just trial an error the job. I have plenty of 1/2'' & 1/4'' pipe to go either route if one does'nt work. Thanks guys.......

jingvardsen 11-24-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimanoman08 (Post 3097318)
Just bought my 1st gas grill EVER today. I have refused to buy a gas grill for the past 10 years, cause I just enjoy charcoal cooking, smoking, etc...I bought the NG conversion kit for the gas grill. ARe there any 2coolers out their that won't mind showing me what I need ( gas fittings, NPT fittings, etc...) to run a line from the meter to the grill. I live in League City ( South Shore ). Thanks a bunch.

Where did you get the NG conversion Kit?

thanks

shimanoman08 12-09-2010 08:49 AM

Bought the conversion kit @ HOME DEPOT for like $79.99