Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Capt. Adam Jaynes

Capt. Adam Jaynes has been fishing Sabine Lake and it's surrounding bayous and marshland his entire life. He specializes in using artificial lures for trout, redfish and flounder on both Sabine Lake and neighboring Lake Calcasieu.

Search This Blog

August 26, 2013

A long way from home...

by Capt. Adam Jaynes

Aaron and I traveled to Fourchon this past weekend to prefish for a tournament at the end of this month. Neither of us had ever fished this area and were excited to wet a line and try and figure out how to catch some solid redfish in new waters. We spent hours looking at different areas on Google Earth before we ever left Orange and each came up with a game plan.

Loaded up and ready to go!

We left at 1:30am to make the drive down to Fourchon. I had my Haynie HO in tow and Aaron brought Trey's Bonefish topdrive. We stopped on the other side of Lafayette to top off the tanks and arrived in Fourchon at daylight but were greeted with a steady rain. The rain came to a halt around 8:30 so we put the boats in the water and headed opposite directions. My first stop was croaker and sand trout heaven. No matter how much weight I used I wasn't able to get down past them. I left after thirty minutes to look some more. I went through a few trout before I hooked into my first redfish. And it was a beast of a redfish… After a good fight I landed my first ever redfish in Fourchon and it surpassed the end of my Check-it-Stik that goes up to 37". It turned into trout every cast for a little while after that before I hooked into my next red that dwarfed my first. They were destroying a 3.5" chicken on a chain Wedgetail fished about two feet under a Double D cork. I was having a great time catching fish but this was definitely not what I was looking for with my upcoming tournament.

The Check-it-Stik wasn't quite long enough for my first redfish out of Fourchon, LA

My second redfish was even bigger, but not going to work for a tournament..time to move on...

I cranked up the Mercury and headed north to start checking on some ponds. The first was totally devoid of redfish but the second was loaded. Not exactly tournament-winning fish but never the less it was good to find so many and that they were willing to bite. I hopped around for the next several hours and it was more of the same. The weather had gotten perfect, calm and sunny allowing me to sight cast to more reds than I have in a very long time. They weren't very picky. I was flipping both Gulp shrimp and Killer Flats Minnows and they ate both equally well.

Sight casted to this pig about five feet from the boat!

I sent Aaron a text around 5:00 that evening to let him know that I was planning on being back at the ramp in about an hour to go and find the hotel and check in before dark. He called a little while later to let me know that he was stuck and wouldn't be going anywhere for a while. The water was going out the entire time while we were out and on his way back out of a pond he stuck the Bonefish on a sand flat. He was pretty adamant that he was not going anywhere until the tide came back in. Some locals in a Gatortail were nice enough to try and tow him off the flat but were getting stuck themselves and were unsuccessful. I spoke with one of the guys at the ramp about getting an airboat to go get him but Aaron said he was going to wait it out.

After checking in to the hotel, cleaning up and getting something to eat for dinner I fell asleep before my head ever hit the pillow. I woke up around 4:00am and realized that the queen sized bed on the other side of the hotel room was still empty. At this point nervousness set in and I tried to get in touch with Aaron to see what was going on. He didn't answer and didn't respond to my text. Finally at 4:55 he texted to say that he was floating and was headed to the ramp. I couldn't help but laugh, partly from relief that my buddy was alright, other from the fact that he need not worry about even putting the boat on the trailer as it was nearly time to go fishing again. I'm pretty sure in hind sight he would've left the boat over night and waited to retrieve it in the morning but at least there weren't any mosquitoes to bother him!

Saturday and Sunday were mostly a wash, except for we figured out a couple of ways to catch some good fish in adverse conditions. I wasn't able to launch until 10:30 Saturday morning due to the rain and after it quit the wind was blowing a steady 20mph for the rest of the day with extremely overcast skies. We had the same conditions Sunday morning minus the rain. We ended up having to wait until the water was low enough to see their backs and tails breaking the surface, as our water clarity was maybe an inch.

Sight casting to some of these will help you forget sleeping in the marsh!

I had a great time down in Fourchon although I know Aaron has a couple memories that he could do without. It took a little while but by Sunday he was laughing about his night out in the marsh pretty good!
You must login to post a comment.

User Name

Need an account? Register here!

© 2008 Noreast Media, LLc | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise