2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Team FishBonz
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started looking at ZTR mowers and was wondering what would be a good 50" ZTR. I mow 1 acre every week and need to cut down my mowing time. I was wondering about the commercial Cub Cadet or do I need to step up to the true commercial mowers ( Skag, Encore, etc.)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've got the Kubota 21hp diesel with a 60" cut and love it...but I have to mow almost three acres...probably too much mower for just one acre...although you'd be finished in about 15 minutes....its takes me 1.5 hours to mow three.

my neighbor has the Hustler with the 52" cut in the gas model and I really like it too....its a much better machine than the cub cadet and not much more expensive....much more heavy duty...he got is at Lamar Tractors in Rosenberg, TX for I think around $4500.

TS

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
zero turn

I own a commercial landscape business. We run the Kubota 21 diesel as well an it is everything and then some. I also bought a Kubota gas engine 52 inch cut for my dad's place. He has 6.8 acres and I can cut it in about an hour and a half. Of course it is a neatly mannicured st augustine sodded yard so that will help out on the time. I love the Kubota's and their durability. If I remember correctly I paid about 5700.00 plus tax for the gas engine. they actually make cutting the yard fun again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dixie Chopper

Test drove / mowed a 34" Dixie Chopper and 50" Dixie Chopper last night. I wanted a 44" but, he sold it yesterday and now I just can't make up my mind which one to buy - could not believe what that 34" went thru - it had a Generac 22 hp engine and went to town. Great machines - I'll get one but I need to ponder which width.
Have fun shopping,
Porter

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I was in your exact shoes 1 month ago. I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to this...just as in boats and motors, there are many good names that are all very similar. The one thing that will definitely stand out is the difference between the "home Depot" versions and the true commercial versions. The build quality is completely different. Once you step into the commercial lines Exmark, Dixie, Gravely, Hustler, etc. there is very little differences. These commercial guys are now making units that are much better than the home depot ones but not nearly as expensive as the full blown commercial series with welded decks and Kawasaki and Kohler motors. I went this route. Mowing 1 acre, once a week, only in the summer, it did not make sense to spend the $6000+ for a full commercial series but I wasnt going to be satisfied with the cheap home depot versions either. I decided on Gravely because I got a good deal. I dont think you will go wrong with any of the majors as long as you get the good engines, heavier frame, welded decks, and three blade cuts. For what its worth, visit Cypress Lawn and Turf, they had a brand new prior year model 2005 Gravely 2352 (23hp Kohler 52" cut) that was retailed at $5200 that he was willing to sell me for $4000. I went another route because I got a better deal. if they still have it, it may be just what you are looking for. I have no ties to them just came across the deal when i was looking.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
We mow about 200 ac/week and use nothing but Exmark's, 44 to 60 incher's. Got about 10 of 'em.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I have had my Toro ZTR for 2 1/2 years now and I am very happy with it. My wife likes it so much she does all the mowing. I have almost a acre to mow with trees. Lots of trees. This thing still mows like it did when it was new. I did have to get the condenser changed out and of course with the sand down here I have to keep a close watch on the blades. I have changed them once since it was new.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dad and I bought a Scag Tiger Cub 48" a year ago and it is a awesome mower. I have 3.5 acres and my dad has 1 acre. I had a craftsman 50" mower and it took me 4 hrs to mow my yard, and now it takes about 1 hr and 45 min.

Rodney

·
Banned
145 Posts
If you're looking for golf course quality cut and the ability to bag debris...there is no doubt the Walker is best.

If I was going to mow larger acre areas and not bag...Kubota...I prefer diesel, but you'll pay for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts