2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jesus was a great fisherman - follow Him
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best value in a youth 20 ga. shotgun. My son is 9 and fairly strong for his age. I bought him a Rossi 20 single shot two years ago. I don't recommend this. The gun is too light and kicks like a mule. Also is what it is a cheap gun that will rust at the slight hint of moisture. This year he is shooting a borrowed 870 youth. I have looked at the Tristar Viper 20 ga auto. This gun is great because it comes with a second full length stock and a barrel extender as well as three choke tubs. The Weatherby SA-08 looks identical to the Tristar, but cost more and does not have the extra stock and barrel extension. Does anyone have any experience with either the Tristar or Weatherby, know the actual difference if there is one, or know of another good youth 20 ga.

·
Jesus was a great fisherman - follow Him
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know Mossberg makes one, but I am not impressed with it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If you are worried about rust, get a Benelli Nova in 20 guage w/ the duracoat finish. This may not be considered 'budget' but if hunting in the salt marsh any REAL 'budget' shotgun wont last long, especially in the hands of a youngster.

IDK about the rust issue, but Charles Daly has a lifetime warranty and is what i'd consider budget.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I bought my 9 yr old son that weatherby sa08 a couple weeks ago. So far its been a great little gun, still kind of big for him but he handles the recoil well. No problems loading, one critical thing though, if you get that gun they provide 2 different gas rings (?) one for heavy shot and one for light, put the light shot it. The gun would not cycle 2 3/4 high brass 6 shot with the heavy ring in. Shot fine with the light one. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Benelli Montelfro Youth, Beretta Urika Youth, Remington 1100 lt 20 youth. I believe all these guns can be re-stocked as the child grows up and you have a very good shotgun that will be used for many years.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am 20 years old and I started with an old Winchester single shot 20ga. I then got a Remington 870 youth 20ga. I love that gun. I got it when i was in 3rd or 4th grade(I was a runt). I stand behind this gun. It had been through it all at still shoots great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts