2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

Both my daughters are successful bowhunters, and can shoot rifles (.22 and .243), but never really showed interest in shooting a shotgun at all...believe me I've tried.

Well, this last weekend, my oldest (20) was being my bird dog, while I shot a couple of limits of dove. She asked to shoot and killed her first dove with my old 870.

Now, she says that if she had a gun that was comfortable, not too heavy, and didn't kick too badly, she would shoot some clays with me.

She is not a big girl, 5'5" and a hundred pounds. My initial thought is a gas operated 20 ga...maybe a youth model. Nothing fancy, just dependable.

I would like your opinions on which to look at...model, guage, type.

Thanks for your replies.

Mark

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Beretta A 390

My wife, daughter and 11 year old son shoot a Beretta A-390, which is a gas operated auto. Decent gun, light.

However, they all wanted to go shoot the same day once, and we borrowed a 20 over and under, Browning Citori. Much more expensive gun, but they all liked it more. I guess that over and under is a simpler gun for them.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with that Beretta. No O-ring, so it'll keep on shooting.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The Benelli M-1 is a sweet shooting little 20 gauge. I think it's a little over 5 1/2 pounds and feeds super fast. Worthy of a look-see.............

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll second the Beretta. My wife and 14 year old daughter are both about 5'1". They started with a Remington 1100 youth model and are now shooting the full size Beretta 20 ga. They are more comfortable and shoot better with the full sized gun.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My pick is the Remington 1100 20ga "light" or what they call the youth model! I raised my son on it and when he wasn't shooting it I would bogart it myself!

BTW ... did you say shooting a couple of limits?

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Get her whatever 20 gauge auto fits her best and buy her a set of ported choke tubes from Briley for shooting clays. That will offset the recoil if she wants a lighter gun.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW ... did you say shooting a couple of limits?
Yes, I shot a limit each of the first two days the late season was open in south zone. Easy the first day, had to work a little at it the second.

Spend 4 or 5 days at the lease around Christmas.

·
Hunting Machine!
5,831 Posts
Chunky--

I bought a Youth 870 Express 20 ga. along time ago and all my kidos have shot it very well--even Raven my 8yr old smacker. Good round and gun--no problems with it and paid $200 for it very lightly used. She also shoots my Win 270 with reduced recoil rounds (115 grain Boat-tails) makes it like a 243.

·
Common Sense AIN'T Common!
281 Posts
Don't discount a 12ga. with light loads. She will have more pellets flyin @ the clays with a 12ga. than a 20ga. And with the light loads the felt recoil is negligable. If she is going to get her own gun then you have the option of having a competent smith cut the stock down to fit her. The cut piece could be added back later if you wanted to sell the gun.....Lots of people shoot 20s and love em, not knockin it. Just sayin that there are other options than the conventional wisdom.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I would get ready to buy both a 20 and a 12. My first shotgun was a Remington 1187 20 gaugue. It was and still is a great gun and never had a single problem with it and it should fit her (I am 5"2 and 110 pounds).

Now why did I say get ready to buy a 12 guage? If she gets into hunting larger birds, she will get frustrated that she will not be able to take down the birds that everyone else can.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
aggiechick, you are absolutely right, my wife started witha 20 ga and then decided a 12 would improve her shootin abilities. Bought a 12 ga and as the years advanced she went back to the 20ga because of weight and handling .

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have shot the 390 in a 12ga and it shoots very smooth and light with very little recoil thats what I would spend my money on.

·
Love to fish!
695 Posts
I also say try a 12 ga. My wife is 5'2" and 100 lbs and she has no problems. While I want to buy her an Beretta 391 with the reduced length stock, she says she is fine shooting a short barrelled Browning 12 ga. O/U that I have.

Sure makes it a bit easier to share shells and such when we go out to the field.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I think the 20's a good choice for a smaller lady. The Benelli M1 is a fine firearm but it is inertia operated. The 1100 superlight (I think that's what it's called) is really a fine gun for a lady as well. Since it's gas recoil is almost nil with light loads and it doesn't require heavier ones to cycle right.

A nice O/U might be appreciated, as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought my 11 yo son a Beretta 3901RL 20 ga. It shoots very softly, esp with light 20 ga loads. You can load it up with 3" and it will roll ducks and pheasants. Those Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 3" #5 are death on the longtail ditch chickens. I like to borrow it. In fact, I just might this weekend...

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
At 5'5" she doesn't need a youth model. I'd recommend a semi-auto 20 ga. with 2-3/4" shells and stay away from heaver shot loads to start.

Get an adult model and then check her pull length and have a LimbSaver, or equal, recoil pad installed with the stock cut off so that the overall length is just right for her.

As some suggested, she could easily shoot the right 12 ga. with the right load, but it would be nice if she could shoot one a few times before investing the money for one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts