2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new nissan has a dash light that comes on when the air pressure gets low in a tire. Well, it came on and I was putting air in just like I have done for 38 years when the end of the valve stem broke off. It is aluminum and where the threads were cut into it for the cap, it had the thickness of a coke can. No problem, $10-$12 for a new valve stem. Nope, $116 for a new valve stem, it is part of the sensor and will not pass insection without a new one. Just a heads up to be careful. The guy at the tire store said they are getting a ton of these. Brilliant marketing tho.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Yeah... they suck. You can have them all replaced at your cost with conventional valve stems. That is what I did on my Suburban when I had the tires changed. The tire tech can reprogram your computer to make the warning light go away if you ask him to. I got an inspection a month or two later with no problem.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
More expensive add ons that are freakin' useless. How hard is it to check your tire pressure? If you do the math, they're making you pay $116 for the part and heaven knows how much for the computer when it would take you all of 10 seconds to check each tire. That's a pretty high labor rate.

·
TxDuSlayer
4,772 Posts
Yeah there a pain in the ars! that little cool spell we had last week had all those little sensors going off every morning on my wife's new car and then they were fine in the afternoon.

·
Live to fish, work to live
2,330 Posts
TxDuSlayer said:
Yeah there a pain in the ars! that little cool spell we had last week had all those little sensors going off every morning on my wife's new car and then they were fine in the afternoon.
Cold air contracts and hot air expands,

The spare has one too. I learned that the hard way:headknock

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
While I agree they can be a huge pain in the rear, they have saved me from some possibly dangerous situations. I had a 2004 Nissan Titan truck and it seemed like if the weather cooled off 10 degrees, one of them would cause the light. My 2007 Pathfinder seems to be one heck of a lot better on that point. I have a 2008 Uplander and it has the sensors. The information center in the dash shows the tire pressure for each tire.

I had a 2005 Impala and I was driving through San Marcos and a truck pulled up next to me and starting waving and pointing hysterically at my right rear tire. I safely made an immediate into a parking lot and yep it was flat. The only good part - It was next to a Discount Tire. I would have hated to have to deal with it on that section of freeway.

The light came on on my Uplander and I immediately knew which tire and how low it was. I used the compressor included to inflate the tire and was off to get it fixed.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
During the evac from Ike I had to have the spare put on the ground on the Hummer. Wal Mart did it and they told me no problem they knew how to reprogram the computer so it would know where the tires were at now. About 100 miles down the road I get the "Serv TPM" light. Went to a dealer and asked them what the heck that was. They toldme it was cause one of the tires wasn't reporting right. They ran the programer on it and fixed it. Said it wasn't a warrenty issue had to pay $45 cause of wal mart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts