2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Frustrated Fisherman
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... was what?

It seems to me, that a lot of peoples opinion on best caliber, is based on a caliber that they first started hunting with. My first center fire was/is a Remington 721 .270 Win. To this day I think that is the best gun/caliber there is. Is it because that is what I started out with and have the most experience with------Well yea of courese it is. My dad to this day is a .270 man as well. Except for a brief experience with a 22-250 he first started hunting with, his .270 is all he has shot. To him, his .270 is the best gun there is.

I just gut my third center fire rifle in a Savage 7MM STW. I will probubly shoot it more this year because it is new, but I will always take my .270 as a back up.

My aresnal now consists of a:
Ruger MarkII .257 Roberts
Remington 721 .270 Winchester
Savage 112FVSS 7MM STW

As you can see I am faithful to no one brand. I guess I need a DG .416 or better for all the DG in Texas, I don't hunt, to round out the group.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My first centerfire rifle was an old US Model 1898 Krag-Jorgensen that had been "Bubbatized" some time way back in the 1940's. It came to me thru my father that told me Grandfather had owned it. It was actually a model 1898 with the 1902 rear sight. Wonderful old rifle with an amazing peep sight on it.
I could nail a beer can at 100yds almost every shot. Took my first deer with it.
That old style 180gr round nose soft point hit hard.
Alas, It was stolen from me in 1977.
May the thieving basserd that robbed me rot in Hades for eternity!

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Pre-64 Featherweight in .243. Still have the rifle, which was my father's (maybe he thinks it still is!) but it would not be my first choice for hunting. My daughter used it on her first hunt.

[Click pictures to enlarge.]

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Remington Mohawk 600 in .243. My dad has reclaimed it from me now.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yugo SKS.
Father-in-law lets me use his .35 Rem if I want to be accurate. :)

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Gibbs custom built .25-06 in '69 (Texas Wildcat)...6yrs before Rem. came out with one in ADL...
Own many C/Fs since then, .222s to .264 Win Mag (My Favorite)..almost all cals. Came full circle back to a Colt J. P. Sauer in .25-06...
My Sons have all my rifles now except a few.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My first rifle was my issued M16A2, Then my M40A1....but the funnest was the .50 Barrett, until I had to drag that ***** around everywhere.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
It was1960 and I saved and bought a very used 303 cal. British Infield with wood top and bottom almost to the end of the barrel. My older brother helped me strip off the wood and shorten the barrel.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My first center fire was an old “sporterized” Mauser 30-06. While I still have it, it hasn’t been out of the safe in several years. For me there is no single best caliber, rather there are many that I like depending on the circumstances.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Winchester Mod. 70 .270 The thing is after years and years of hunting, I have several other rifles. But this one was my first and I have never missed a shot with it. I can not say that for all my rifles.

·
Registered
730 Posts
about 9 years ago my uncle gave me his early model Remington 700 BDL, 6mm with an early model leopold var-x 2, 2X7 scope. It has been a great rifle for everything, very accurate, ability to kill anything that you can get in the scope, cheap ammo, just a solid performer for west/central/east texas game. I have no need for any other rifle unless I go on an alaskan adventure or an african safari

·
Deadeye McGee
3,312 Posts
first cf

My first was my late father-in-law's Remington 700 BDL 30-06 with Leupold 3x9. I never shot it as I did not hunt at that time. It will now go to my youngest son. He loves and wants my Browning A-Bolt in 270 with a 3x9 Leupold Var X-II. Nobody misses with this gun!
Chief-that Colt Sauer is a beaut-rare, grained wood and rosewood end caps and deep bluing! I have one in 300 Weatherby mag-never found a need to shoot it-yet! Now-too many rifles-not enough time!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts