2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two in one week... Keep your fingers crossed that "shark panic" doesn't set in!

Shark attacks girl in Galveston waters

06:43 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 27, 2004

From 11 News Staff Reports / Galveston County Daily News

A 19-year-old female from Tiki Island was bitten in the foot by what appeared to be a small shark.

The incident occurred at 53rd and Seawall around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The shark bite victim was swimming by herself in chest-high water about 30 yards out from shore.

A lifeguard noticed something was wrong and came to her rescue.

The girl was taken to UTMB with injuries to her upper foot.

The bite is considered significant, but the teen is not expected to lose her foot.

This was the second shark attack in Galveston this year. The first one occurred in Pirates' Beach earlier in the summer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am affraid it is a bit late for that Dolphingirl. I caught just a brief glimpse of the news a little bit ago and they said that people were going out hunting the shark that bit the little boy. Read my reply to your other thread. Later.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
You know the sharks have been up close since what April. Now the shrimping season starts and all of a sudden we have two quick shark bites. Could it be the by- catch is cutting way down on the sharks consumption, making them more hungry?

Bigwater

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't think so. If anything the by-catch should be giving them easier and more abundant meals thus they shouldn't be as hungry as normal.

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
I'll give you an equation that solves everything.

Summer = More people on beach
More people on beach = more people in water
more people in water = more odds of a shark attack
April = cold water.....not so many people in water....hahaha

The answer

less odds of a shark attack = anytime except summer time
staying out of the water = no shark attacks

It has been said countless times, that if you are in the sharks territory, you run the risk of being attacked. There is no way that somebody can go out there and catch the shark that bit the boy. There are way too many sharks out there.

The only thing that gets to me are the ignorant persons out there that think sharks are man-eaters, blood hungry etc. You can't help but laugh most of the time but gosh..........Oh well, what can you do? Alot of people always ask me why I release sharks..... hahaha......what little they know?

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Skipjack,
I used to feel the same way about sharks until I started reading some of this stuff here. Now I know a lot more about them and the right way to treat them.

Bigwater

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.