2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Yesterday, today and tomorrow...........

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  chuck leaman 
#1 ·
As I do a lot thinking this time of year right before hunting as season I dream of the hunts to come, but I also start remembering hunts from days gone by. Most of the memories are surrounded with times well spent with family and friends and not trophies. I have killed few trophies by many standards, but each memory of a day well spent in nature sits on the trophy shelf of my mind.

The first memory that I have of hunting is waking to the smell of my mom's cooking. She would rise an hour before my dad and I to have breakfast ready when my granddad and great uncle arrived. As I joined the three men at the table to eat I was all ears. I listened intently to the plans of the day's hunt and only spoke when I was spoken to. It was not yet my place to set the plans for the hunt ahead, it was my place to listen to these three men that knew far more than I.

My memories then flash forward to when my own son was ready for his first hunt and how we rose that morning to prepare. We too had a hot breakfast and I discussed the day’s hunt with two of my friends. As we talked of what the day would bring, I noticed my son sitting there quietly listening to each of our words and I saw myself twenty years earlier. He was just like I was at his age, with open ears, big eyes and a mind full of dreams of what the day would bring.

My mind then switches from memories to visions of days to come. I see myself sitting at the table eating breakfast before the days hunt with my son and grandsons. The young lads taking me back in time once more to my first hunt when I was the starry eyed youth. They also just sit and listen as their father and I discuss the plans for a new day’s hunt.

Oh isn’t life a wonderful gift that each of us have been given and if we remember that yesterday is already a dream, tomorrow is only a vision, and today if well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope, happiness and hope would fill the world.

See less See more
#7 ·
This year will be the first time in my life that my Dad won't be here for hunting season. I already miss him while fishing but when out on the water there is usually someone with me in the boat or wading to keep conversation going.

In the deer stand on opening morning it's going to be pretty tough. Hell it's already tough.

TH

#8 ·
Trouthunter said:
This year will be the first time in my life that my Dad won't be here for hunting season. I already miss him while fishing but when out on the water there is usually someone with me in the boat or wading to keep conversation going.

In the deer stand on opening morning it's going to be pretty tough. Hell it's already tough.

TH
Yes the first few seasons after my dad passed were hard. There seemed to just be something missing. With time I was able to realize that though he wasn't with me physically, he was there. All he ever taught me, all the wonderful memories and his undieing love for hunting were right there with me each step of the way.

I hope that you may also know that you will not be alone in that stand opening morning, he will be there with you, watching over you as he once did in your youth. God Bless and may he help you heal.

Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.