2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bird Boy or Stick Man
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i went to the farm!!! There were gar everywere!! I had hooked one on a topwater but he got off!! Then i loosened my grag all the way flipped my topwter in front of his face.......one twitch.......bam....all hell broke loose!!! As he ran i slowly tightened my drag so he basically set the hook in himself!! My texas wader was bending way.way..down!! He was 25 1/2 inches 5 pounds!!! awesome and i just had bought that topwater that morning!!
Josh

Attachments

·
You got girlfriend Vietnam?
1,892 Posts
Nice bro.... I'd mount that beast.... Redfish hate that topwater plug as well....

Sight casting gar on the farm.....sweet.

·
Bird Boy or Stick Man
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not relese him thats the sad part...they eat bass so we fed him to the alligator but we have alot more in there about 30 more...so I have my work cut out for me!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
My Dad has pictures of me from when I used to run behind the house at Canyon Lake and try to catch anything and everything and would run it back to the house for pictures.

Keep up the good catching. You're a true fisherman.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Man hookin gar on a topwater is pretty fun. I might try fishin the bayou by my house for some if conditions dont improve

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'll save u a top-water..

skitterwalk... Nice one fella..... yah , I d feed him to the gator also. Those gar are sure fun to catch. I'll give u a tip on catchin those toothy fellas. When I was a youngin we used to all roll down to the sandy banks of the brazos and camp out with a couple of lanterns at waters edge. What we'd do is take twine, like 5 or 6 pieces and knot them together with a loop on the end to tie your line onto and that'd be all u would need. you dont even need a hook they tangle there teeth all up in that twine and you just reel them on up, but they would smoke that stuff! You would cut each piece about 6" long and frey it a bit on the ends and its a very cheap and effective lure that stay on top for those snappin gar. It'll save you a 6 $ skitter. Try it ok, and if you need more detail pm me.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
aww, cmon...you should have caught that water moccasin that we saw the other day...haha good catch bud, guess yall ended up not goin to Bass Pro since you never dropped by

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice catch Josh. I have a pic of me when I was 18 yrs old holding a 5ft Alligator Gar that I caught on a Rapala crank bait in Louisiana. He jumped out of the water like a Marlon or something when he realized he was hooked. I know those gar really put up a fight and will hit anything in sight. Way to go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts