2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 yamaha VMax 150. I just got back from a trip to Port Isabel.
The motor runs fine and never overheats, however it has never shot water very hard out of the indicator tube. I was wondering if this is normal?
Sometimes if I ran in a little mud I would have to take a piece of mono line to un stop the outlet indiator tube. Any suggestions or coments?
The motor has less the 50 hours on it so I wouldn't think the water pump could be bad? Help would be appreaciated

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Do you have a water pressure gauge? Your impeller could definately be shot in 50 hours if your pumping mud and sand through it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You can get one at any boat dealer or boating store. They are pretty simple to install, the hardest part of the job is running the hose from the engine to the gauge on your dash. They are pretty inexpensive if you install yourself.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
I'd say replace the pump. From the looks of it your staying at oyster cove.
I've gotta condo @ harbor Island. The inlet into the main channel from the fingers is pretty shallow. If you idle thru there on a regular basis I'm willing to bet that your pump is shot. The mud there is almost like soup. You might have sucked up enough crud to plug up the tube to water jacket. Have you tried to see where the tube picks up from the power head? You might try and remove it from there and run a wire up into the head. Then start it on the muffs and see if you get good water flow. As others have said a water pressure guage is a wise investment. My Johnson doesn't flow good out of the tube but, my pressure guage is around 15psi @ idle and it's never overheated.
--Hop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts