2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Yamaha 115 overheat alarm popped off a couple of weeks ago so I put it in the shop to have the cooling passages blown out and a new impeller installed. It was discharging fine when the alarm went off the first time. So I get it out of the shop Saturday morning...start it up and it is taking 30-45 seconds for it to start peeing...this went on all day long...then back at the dock I parked, turned the motor off and put the trailer in the water. Went to start it up to load and the alarm pops off. The gearcase was pretty hot and it was NOT peeing at all at this point. Any ideas about what the problem might be (and cost to repair) would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
When you say cooling passages were blown out, do you mean the heads were removed and cleaned along with the block? If there was that much crud the thermostats should have been done also. Its possible some of the stuff loosened up wasn't removed and lodged in a water passage after you ran it a while. Was the old impeller complete(no vanes missing) when the shop removed it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they just ran some kind of block cleaner thru it. The bill was only $260. Doesn't sound like they took it all apart to clean it. Water was pumping fine prior to the first overheat and they didn't keep the impeller so I'm not sure what it looked like. Thanks.

·
fish control my brain
7,746 Posts
You could be getting grass stuck in your Thermostats........

Just a thought

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
The pic

Its located at the rear of your engine at the lower cowling ,its got a 1" water line connected to it.Try cleaning the spring and the valve itself the valve might not be closing all the way .There is a rubber seat on the inside of the motor that might be worn or debris build up. I would change T-stats and mating surfaces also.Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts