2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a 1989 90hp Yamaha on my 17' aluminum skiff. The motor has always run fantastic, but recently it has started acting up a bit. If you run full throttle it the motor will bog down like it is flooding, but it never dies. If you pull it back and wait about 30 seconds it will take right off again. If you run it at about 3/4 throttle it doesn't do this. What could be causing this Problem? It also doesn't seem to matter if the engine cold or has been run all day.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm sounds kind of like a carb problem. Judging by the engine's age I'm assuming it's carbureted. I've worked on small carbs not on outboards, and there's a bunch of little pieces in the carbs that can foul up. Low speed jet for providing correct mixture at lower throttle and high speed jets for high throttle mixture, floats, bowls the works. If anything is just a little off it can really wreak havock with the performance.

I don't know if on carbed outboards have jets, or adjustable pintles like weed trimmers and R/C engines. I would assume they are jets because unless the retainer design is good sometimes the pintles turn with vibration.

It doesn't really sound like anything could be physically wrong with the engine components which is a good thing. Carbs are easy enough to check if you are mechanically inclined, if not it's easier to have someone check it.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
1st a carb job and fresh plugs

and ck fuel lines and bulb for poss leaks, pump bulb tight and hold it and look for fuel drips

next might be a new fuel pump

wouldnt hurt to de-carb motor and get a compression test on the cyls.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If all else fails.....

If you need someone to work on it try Kevins Boat Service, 713.643.1883. He's honest, fast, cheap and pleasant to deal with.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
"Chunk and Reel",

if it is a fuel restriction you need to take care of the problem before you run it much more, because it can cause you to blow your engine. I don't know this from personal experience, but have read it here and other web sites. Hopefully, a knowledgeable person will comment on it here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It seems like the consensus is a carb problem. I'm not a bad mechanic, but learned lessons the hard way in the past when it comes to carbs. I figure I will be better off taking it in somewhere, to save my self some headache. Does anyone know of a good boat mechanic in San Antonio?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts