2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago we were out from the Barge Canal, and the motor shut off. I pumped up the ball and it started. It smoked really bad and shut off again. We made it back on the trolling motor. I've replaced the fuel pump but it still smokes bad and oil out the exhaust. Its a 2002 yamaha 90 2 stroke. I checked compression and have 90 in all 3 cylinders.
Any ideas?

·
archTech
8,624 Posts
The compression needs to be at least 110 p.s.i., but the good thing is they are all within 10% of each other. On a Yamaha the oil injection should be disconnected like what they do on their commercial series. It may be time for a rebuild...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe time soon ,but its a 20 year old motor and 90 lbs ain't all that bad .its just dumping oil in the cylinders. Its dripping out the exhaust. Just thought I would ask if anyone else had a problem like this before.

·
Registered
505 Posts
On mine the oil injection was the first thing removed, so dc those hoses to the carb and cap em on the carbs,sounds like its just pouring into the carbs. Ill get u the wire color u gotta clip so ur oil light dont alarm i think its pink but i gotta look at my motor, then just mix 50:1 like i do. I think ur compression is low cuz all the oil in the cylinders. Them yamahammers are almost bulletproof, what kills em is too much gas and not enough oil so your on the better end. It will take some time to burn off the excess oil but your well lubed and once u get them lines and tank removed mix ur gas and run it. I think your motor is fine just too much oil and its running super rich.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just replace the oil pump. Yamaha has the most reliable oil injection pumps and rarely fails. Most of the time if they fail like yours the engine gets too much oil which is better than no oil! Check the link arm from the lower carb to the oil pump, it may have come off thus running oil flow at max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
205 Posts
IDK if this is anything like the HPDI of that era, but on the port side of the motor, there is an oiler lever that is attached to the throttle linkage. It adds more oil as you put on more throttle. It's held on by a small plastic part. If that part breaks, then it defaults to the highest setting and over oils the motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to replace the oil injection pump. I just don't want to have to mix oil every time. Thinking back, it's been using more oil than I thought it should. I am thankful that it's over oiling ,and not oiling at all.
I'll replace oil pump and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts