2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2000 Yamaha 50 HP engine and want to check the tilt and trim fluid level. It works OK, but at speed it appears to take a long time for the trim to change. Bought the engine used and do not have the owner's manual. The online Yamaha manual was no help. Attached pictures show a stain on what I suspect is the motor for the unit and there is no evidence of a leak. Have a Mercury engine on a bass boat and it has to be checked in a certain position, either up or down (don't remember which) and wondering if the same is true for the Yamaha. Have no idea which plug to pull to check the level. Hope the two pictures post with my limited computer skills. Thanks in advance.

Automotive tire Gas Rim Tire Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive design Carbon Rim Tire

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've never done this on a 50 hp Yamaha, but based on other motors, you trim the motor all the way up, remove the screw with the big slotted head, fill so it just runs out the hole, put the screw back in, and that's it.

You need to check which type of fluid to use, it may use ATF, Brake Fluid, or some special Yamaha fluid. Looks like from the owner's manual on line you need ATF. You need to know that first before you start.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The large Hex plug a 17 mm I belive is the fill plug, tilt all the way and fill with poer tnt fluid or dextron 3
The stains are from rust the steel motor unit is startiing to rust, clean with a wire brush, put some restore on it and repaint to slow down the rusting
Yamaha get $442. for the tilt motor, but can find after market for about 2/3 price, so a little cleaning and keeping a eye on it would help the motor live a lot longer,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts