2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the reports coming from the surf, a couple of buddys and I decided to give it a try yesterday evening. Keep in mind that I am a bay fisherman and have only fished the surf 2 times. My neighbor caught his limit toward the east end of Galv. yesteday morning, so with a fresh report I went straight to his spot after work (should have went west). By the time we got there the wind had picked up and the water had sanded and gotten fairly rough, but we walked in anyway.

We were standing on the second bar and my friend had landed 2 dinks on plastic. I kept seeing bait and a few birds working out past the third bar, so I thought we should try to get out to deeper water. Well the gut was over our head so we had to start swimming. Maybe it was not knowing where the third bar was, or maybe it was the rough surf, but I got tired real quick. I was trying to swim with one arm as to not dunk my reel. My buddys were behind me and I could tell they were having a tough time as well. I yelled at them to turn back. They both are a bit taller than I am, and werent nearly out as far as I was when we decided to turn back so they made it back to the second bar well before I did. I think that the combination of the waves and an outgoing tide was what made it so tough.

I got REALLY fatigued and started having trouble catching my breath. My stringer getting tangled around my legs didnt help matters either. I went completely submerged a couple of times and finally had to yell to one one my friends to come give me a hand. One buddy handed his rod to the other and swam out to me. I handed my rod to him so that I could use both arms and shortly after made it back to the second bar. It was a scary situation for a minute there. I stood on the second bar for at least 10 minutes before I could catch my breath.

It really was an eye opener for all of us. Things happen pretty quick out there. Now some of you surf fisherman probably do what I attempted every day with no problem and may think that we just couldnt hang, and that very well may be the case. I think next time I decide to fish the surf, it will have to be like a pond out there and they better be bitting in the first or second gut or Im not going in. lol. Or maybe I could tag along with one of you veterans. :)

Sorry for the long story. I just wanted to post this and tell all to be carefull and take someone with you. I was a mere minutes away from going down there by myself, and that could have gotten really ugly. John and Brandon, if yall read this dont make fun of me too bad. I am the in shape guy of the bunch and was the first to run out of steam. lol. Tight lines and be safe.

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Glad you're okay and good reminder to us all. I don't know about you, but I couldn't tell you the last time I swam for any amount of time, particularly dressed and carrying gear. I'm sure that was a scarey deal, again, glad you're alright.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
Glad to hear to are ok. I would chaulk that up as a rookie mistake! Not that I am without misjudgements of my own though. I would recommend a PFD, highly recommend a PFD!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Serious stuff. Get an inflatable vest for 50 bucks instead of buying a new rod or reel your next trip to Academy.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
bobber said:
Serious stuff. Get an inflatable vest for 50 bucks instead of buying a new rod or reel your next trip to Academy.
Don't leave home without it!

Not encouraging anyone to do the third bar deal, but if you do, be aware of the current/wave action before you go into the gut. Forget swimming if there's much of either - unless you're a VERY strong swimmer and VERY comfortable (unafraid) in the water. WEAR AN INFLATABLE PFD. If you even START to think you're in trouble, jettison the rod, stringer, whatever you need to so you can swim efficiently. It usually doesn't get better by itself.

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,630 Posts
I am glad to hear you are OK. I had a similar event years ago. Scared the beejeezes out of me. I have been especially careful in the surf, ever since.

I now have a Wade Aid belt, and it's little extra bouancy really helps. A full blown PFD is better, though.

Mike

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
Yep I almost drowned at Surfside that way when I was 17 years old. I was in great shape then too. After that happened you couldn't get me in the surf for about 15 years.
I was an extremly strong swimmer and kept working to break the outgoing tide past the third bar in order to get back in...exactly what you are not supposed to do. I should have rolled over and floated down and around.
I can 100 percent garrantee you I almost drowned that day...so i personally take your warning to heart.

Thanks,
Biggie

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Catch 5, glad you made it back safely. Some don't.

If you guys fish anywhere near the Pass be aware that there is not always a "third bar" present. Especially on days like yesterday when low tide is in the evening. The second bar IS the 3rd bar.

It's one of the main reasons I rarely fish the surf in the evening. Seems the tide is always out and the fish seem to be a little further out than I want to mess with. Give me first light and fish in knee deep water all week long.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
troy merrill said:
Catch 5, glad you made it back safely. Some don't.

If you guys fish anywhere near the Pass be aware that there is not always a "third bar" present. Especially on days like yesterday when low tide is in the evening. The second bar IS the 3rd bar.QUOTE]

I was asking myself the same thing. "Where is this majical 3rd bar"? lol.

If yall ever see a guy with those little floaties around his arms fishing the surf, that will be me. :)

·
Looking for Fish
665 Posts
Glad to hear your OK and thanx for the reminder. Yes, anyone can get into trouble real fast. If the conditions are right I'll be heading to the surf this coming weekend but the third bar has been off limits to me for quite a few years now.

Everyone be careful.

·
Gig 'em '00
986 Posts
Glad you are ok. I have struggled to and from the mythical 3rd bar, too. Especially back in high school. Recently, I have come to accept that I actually catch more fish closer to shore than I ever did by stetching my limits and endangering myself. It has been my experience that most people wade through fish to get to less fish more times than not....or drive through.....

·
Crazy Yak
353 Posts
Glad you made it out okay. Looks like you need a kayak! If I could quit fishing for the BIG fish offshore I would love to target the surf some.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Good post! My dad and a few of us had to swim in through the first gut last weekend in Gorda and Pops had a bit of a tough time with heavy wading booties draggin him down. I was a hundred yards down doing the breast stroke with my rod handle in my mouth.

Pops said he took his rod and poked it into the sand bottom and just that little bit of a push helped him regain a little confidence. It was a very short swim but with an outgoing tide a short swim can last longer than you care for.

Be careful folks... I am of the theory that if you have to swim to it it aint worth it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If I have to wade past my belly button, I don't wade it. And I usually catch plenty of fish up shallow. In fact I have caught fish while watching those on the outer bar catch nothing. Then, they would turn around and start casting back up shallow after seeing me catch fish. This has happened more than once.

Anyway, Glad you made it. It is scary situation.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I always wear a PFD while wade fishing. However, on Tuesday, when the wave action started getting bigger, I tried jumping a wave with this on, and took a wave ride on my back...I got back up, just to find I was in too deep of water. But the waves took me towards shore. I would think, with an outgoing tide, I would have been in-trouble...

BE CAREFULL...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Let me get this straight 2 Buddies had lures on their rods less than what 30 yards away and they couldnt "hook you up" Sounds like sombody needs some casting target practice and missed the chanch........... glad your ok I go all the time to the 3rd bar and have to swim it but i dont recommend it to anyone unless you have a jacket on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts