2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I downloaded the spy bot from the link above and today I got blasted. Now it may have just been a coincidence but it sure seemed funny. I have spent the last two hours fighting them sum bich'es and keeping them outta my house. Dang McAfee was going bezerk and I ran Spybot, got 97 hits the first time, and kept running it and it cascaded down till I finally got it clean, I hope. I have done nothing but the Spy Bot(MajorGeek.com) and havent opened any email so Im guessing I got it from there. There was a file installed on my computer that was throwing some type of Trojan virus and I couldnt close it and it wasnt showing up on Virusscan(the file). I finally got it cornered and everything seems to be normal. Ive run everything twice and all is clear so far. Just a heads up from a computer dummy with some prespiration stains on my shirt right now. LOL

Zac

· Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe so Bill

I know just enough about this stuff to get me in trouble. I dont remember the name of the Trojan. McAfee kept stopping it but it would pop up a message every few seconds. When I installed Spy Bot last night I ran it and it picked up 56 items. I removed these and shut the puter down and went to bed. Turned it on for the first time today and it went crazy. When I logged on to IE it had changed my default web page to a "Security Warning" and was telling me to "click here" to return my computer to normal. I never did because the wording of the message wasnt "professional" sounding. I think I was actually getting pounded with spy ware because everytime I ran Spy Bot it picked up new ones. The virus alerts were popping up and giving a temp. Internet file location in the warning. I kept clearing the files out but it kept returning. There was a file named something like "noclose.gen" or something to that effect that was hanging everything and making it go haywire. Im really inept at this stuff and dont know if I actually got everything so when I get back from the Astros game Ill do all the things you said and hope it all works out for the best. This stuff is aggravating.

Zac

· Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I tried

Im fixing to run it again. I tried running the Panda one earlier and it ran for like 2 hours and then froze, I had to abort. It showed two infected files, one cleaned but I never got any messages because the computer froze. Im gonna run it again with one of the others and see what happens. Im definitely infected because my computer has slowed to a snails pace and all OS programs are freezing up. Hopefully I can get it in. Now Im getting spyware without logging on to IE. I have cable access so maybe its getting it without me knowing it. Does Spybot stop it from coming in or do I have to scan it to remove it? Im fixing to do a major upgrade of my security software as it seems McAfee didnt catch it. I do a total scan and McAfee only scans 22000 or so files. The Panda was at 37k when it froze up, why the difference? Sorry for all the questions Ill rerun an online scan and get back.

Oh yea, Im telling my wife about our problems last night and she informs me that she has been getting dozens of emails from an unknown source in German every day. She hasnt been opening them, just deleting. But she has autopreview which Im assuming is basically still opening it. That may be the culprit.

Zac

· Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool

Ive got some info but it is still running. It picked up two and here is what it said

TROJ STARTPAG.KF Non cleanable C:\WINDOWS\ALLUSERS\APPLICAT...
TROJ STARTPAG.KF NonCleanable C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0089624...

That is all I have so far but its still running, I didnt try to read the rest of the location because I didnt want to hang it up in anyway.

Im running ME and I dont know how to disable the auto restore either.

Ive got the McAffe Firewall but Im getting the picture that McAfee isnt doing me much good. I will fix that issue when Im through this.

Zac

· Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill, I just wanted to thank you

For all the help you gave me, it wont soon be forgotten.

Unfortunately I did all the above and when I restarted the computer it froze, and I mean FROZE. I dont know what happened but I tried just shutting it down with the power button as nothing else worked. It never would restart(desktop would not come up) so, I just finished a total reboot(That sucked) Now that Ive downloaded a gazillion Windows updates Im now getting things slowly back up to speed. I still have several more things to get back online but it is slowly coming back. I tried to call the only one I knew with computer smarts but "HE" didnt answer his phone. LOL Next time Bill, I may just get your phone number before I start jacking with stuff. Thanks a million for all your help. Back to downloading.

Zac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.