2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys on our lease called me Saturday and said he almost got bitten by a big rattler hiding in a big clump of grass by a protein feeder leg. He heard the rattle and it hit his pants leg before he could get out of the way. They disposed of it and if was just under 5' and had 11 rattles. With all the rain there is a whole lot more places for venemous creatures to hide so watch yourself when you go. I have never felt the need to wear snake boots in Junction but they are on my list to buy before I go again. I'm taking more undies with me too!

·
Play Deep
3,658 Posts
it seems the rattlebugs figure with protein comes varmits-rats, mice, quali. etc- so why not hang around the shade and use the feeder as it was to be usrd for..i have seen this many times. watch your feet!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not to mention he scorpions. We've seen more scorpions than ever at the lease this year. They're under everything we turn over.

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Yes Sir, we usually have red wasp in 20 out of 20 blinds..fogger by the case...We have Timber Rattlers on the Rack Ranch..Big'ens..Thanks for the reminder HP..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
In the 9 years I've hunted in Leakey, I personally have never seen a Rattler. We have so many hogs that they keep the snake population well under control. The owner killed one earlier this year that was just under 6', but that's the 1st seen in over 5 years. I guess we've been lucky so far. Now as for wasps, we keep cans of spray in each blind plus do a good check of each stand prior to the season opener.

·
yakfisher
805 Posts
at the family land outside of Valley Mills/Clifton you can not go on a walk without carrying a gun or long stick in the summer. You will find them everywhere and i have more then a few skins here at the house to show for it.

Doesn't help for around the feeder or stands, but if you put sulfur down around the house it will help keep them out of the yard.

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
Really good advice, there are all kinds of critters that make new homes in and round our blinds and feeders in the off season. Some of these critters are not ones that are very friendly and you would want to share a warm bed with, so just please be very careful out there guys.

Haute Pursuit thanks for the timely reminder!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
We keep an area of at least 20 yards cleared around our feeders. Our deer actually prefer an open area except when they bed down. It's nothing to see deer/axis bedded down in open fields under a big open area oak tree.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard Head said:
We keep an area of at least 20 yards cleared around our feeders. Our deer actually prefer an open area except when they bed down. It's nothing to see deer/axis bedded down in open fields under a big open area oak tree.
This snake was in a clump of grass that would not normally be there inside the feed pen with a 3000# feeder. The deer normally have it trampled down pretty good but with this much rain I guess they couldn't keep up! I've only seen about 10 rattlesnakes in over 20 years on our place but this one was a biggun and holding his ground!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went to my lease this week end also. We killed the biggest copperhead I'd ever seen Friday night. We mowed the grass around camp,must of stirred him up. It sure made for an interesting week end after that. We was looking ever where we stepped after that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
pressure washed the camper saturday.came back about 8:30 pm from wally world and there was a big copperhead helping himself to a cool drink , grandbaby was running too fast when she went by i guess,he didnt have a chance to bite her. he took off for under the porch and at that point it didnt matter if i had to disassemble the porch he had to die.. about size of a quarter and 16 inches

·
Gilmore Hunt Club
2,289 Posts
I have red wasps all the time in my blind, i knock the nest down kill about 20 or so, and while I sit in the blind I kill up to 5 more while I am there. So much for sitting still.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
try mothballs around the camp house. This will run reptiles off. Don't use them around the feeders as they are pretty stanky.

·
Baystealth1880
65 Posts
Wasp Solution

Get a "NO FLY" strip or some medicated cow ear tags and put it on the floor of your deer stand. The strip is in the blue wraper. Either one of these will kill those flying critters that like to hang out in your stand or deer lease trailer. When you come back to your stand on your next trip, they will be dead. Trust me, I have used them for years. They last about a year. It is really funny to watch them in the winter when they try to move in.....the stuff makes them looks like they are walking around drunk before they bite the bullet. Also a backup plan is to have a can of wasp spray handy in case you have some recent bees that just moved into your stand for your weekend hunt and are not too happy to see you. It takes a few days for the "No Fly" strip to actually start working. Try it, it is worth the $5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts