2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old college buddy of mine e-mailed me this yesterday.

A buddy of mine got one of his vendors to haul his 27' Contender down to
>South Padre last weekend to take us offshore while we were on vacation with
>our families. We hit the Canyon early, trolled all morning and got
>nothing. Not one fish raised - nothing. We headed in and hit a waypoint
>that had a party boat anchored on it. They were pulling up snapper, and
>against my advice, we cut the engines upcurrent of them, drifted and dumped
>out three snapper rigs. Personally, I thought we were encroaching on them,
>but the boat owner thought that 200 yards was enough room to keep them from
>being upset at the move. We were in about 40 fathoms, so I doubt we screw
>up the fishing and, again, they were anchored.
>
>You won't believe what happened next. A bullet hit the water between us
>and the party boat. Then another. Then they fired a few over our boat. A
>few shots came relatively close, and I'm sure they could have put one in
>the boat (or up our ***) if they had wanted to do so. I think it was a .22
>short, but I'm not sure. We called them on the radio, and they didn't
>respond. I made the suggestion that we just leave, and cooler heads
>prevailed as we left.
>
>My question is this. Have you ever heard of this? Were we wrong? It felt
>wrong to me that we got close, but that's the bay wade fisherman in me -
>stay away from my spot. I reported it to the Coast Guard, and I'm meeting
>with an investigator tomorrow to give a written statement. He's contacted
>the party boat and they claim that they don't even carry firearms aboard
>any of their vessels. That's absolute b.s., and I hope they get some kind
>of reprimand anyway.


This was my reply:

It very well could have been one of the clients on the party boat, but that
doesn't really matter, as the captain of the boat is responsible for all
activities on his boat. At the very least, he should lose his ticket, and
at most, felony charges of assault with a deadly weapon/ attempted murder
should be filed. What y'all should have done is immediately hailed the
coast guard with a mayday to say you were being fired on in U.S. territorial
waters by another vessel. I could give a **** how close you were, if they
were actually shooting at you, they are DEFINITELY in the wrong. I am glad
y'all got out of there without anyone getting injured. There ain't a fish
in the world worth dying for. Let me know how everything turns out.


I am withholding the name of the party boat at this time due to a criminal investigation that has been initiated over this incident. If the captain gets off scott-free, I will be sure to let everyone know what outfit thinks its funny to be winging bullets at other vessels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Wow thats crazy, They should get the caption for the full extent of the law.
There is no reason for something like this to happen. and I would say that 200
yards is not too close. Let us know how this turns out.

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
200 yards...200 feet...200 inches Doesn't matter. That guy should, at minimum, lose his license forever if not thrown in jail. That is completely uncalled for and I am sure you have plenty of witnesses to pursue this. It's one thing to get a little upset about your precious little snapper hole but this is a criminal act with a firearm.


Do us all a favor and don't stop the pursuit of jail time. Get the coast guard involved, you will likely get more results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,254 Posts
I agree, the Coast Guard should have been called immediately. Shooting at another boat....that is idiotic and that whole situation could have neen a lot worse. Keep us informed on the situation.
 

·
CantRe Member
Joined
·
782 Posts
Game On! said:
200 yards...200 feet...200 inches Doesn't matter. That guy should, at minimum, lose his license forever if not thrown in jail. That is completely uncalled for and I am sure you have plenty of witnesses to pursue this. It's one thing to get a little upset about your precious little snapper hole but this is a criminal act with a firearm.

Do us all a favor and don't stop the pursuit of jail time. Get the coast guard involved, you will likely get more results.
Game On is right! Its still a free country, the distance thing is a professional courtesy. Shooting at people is a crime, with several laws being broken. I'd say you did the right thing. First and foremost--Getting the heck outta there and then calling the law.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
I know it is under investigation, but you may want to give the name of the boat so that nobody here has the misfortune of boarding that boat. That is completely up to you, but I am sure everybody would appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you read a little closer, I was not there, I am reprinting an e-mail from a buddy of mine and his experience. If I had been there, I WOULD NOT have fired back (two wrongs don't make a right) due A: it was a headboat full of innocent people and B: I am not going to kill anybody over a fish. I would have hailed the coast guard, had them scramble a helo, and escort the vessel back to harbor, at which point the Captain would be taken into custody. I am withholding the boat's name for now until all this shakes out, but there is not too many headboats down in that part of the world, so it shouldn't take y'all too long to figure it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
What a Shame!!!

I have heard stories like this before, but that is what I thought they were, stories. There are all types of people in the world, good and bad in all occupations. Unfortuately, that means there are going to be a few in the fishing industry. Not too hard to figure out this guy is one of the bad ones. Hopefully somebody in the crew of the Party Boat will come to their senses and tell the truth, so that something like this does not happen again.
Just FYI (whoever reads this), if somebody threatens you with a weapon when you are out there, first & most importantly, get a safe distance away, then hail the Coast Guard and let them know what happen, where you are at, and name descriptiontion of vessel that has the person that threaten you, on it. They (Coast Guard) will get a helocopter up and over them immediatly, and then get one of their 41' out there to board vessle. Even if the guy throws the weapon overboard and deny's it, there will be a written record of what took place and the names of all the people of the vessle, and if by chance he is dumb enough to do it again, there is better chance that law enforcement officers are going to stop him/her.
Tight Lines for all, and more importantly, be safe!!!
 

·
Iusedtofish
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
Crazy

Man that is crazy, I have heard of people getting angry because someone is encroaching on their secret spot, but firing a few warning rounds at someone is way beyond anything I have heard of.. at least in the good ole USA! I hope that the captain gets what is coming to him. WOW!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
There is really one head boat charters

I know the owner of the only head boat charters in the SPI.....not to defend him but, the fact is that he has about 5 different captain running his boats and they are not the brightest people in world .... If He (the owner) knew about this he would fire that person on the spot....so don't everybody run out and bash this company untill we find out the actions taken since this happen ..... I will call and find out what his side of the story is...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
James Howell said:
A bullet hit the water between us and the party boat. Then another.
That is pure insanity. Once a round hits the water, there is no telling where a ricochet might go. Whoever was firing seriously endangered the people on the other boat. I have a hard time believing the shooter was one of the passengers. I do not believe loosing his license is anywhere near the appropriate action. Any and all involved need to have criminal charges filed against them.

Incidentally, I've made a jillion offshore trips over the past 40+ years and I've have had others fish where I was, and I've fished where other boats were. Courtesy and respect for the boats already on a spot should always be shown, but two hundred yards is not crowding someone. Heck, I've seen as many as 6-8 boats fishing the same spot and the only times I've seen tempers flare are when someone seriously crowds another boat and when someone tries to anchor in an area where the boats already there were drifting or trolling. The idea that a fishing spot in the open gulf is "mine" is ridiculous. Trying to keep someone from getting your numbers by cranking and running when another boat approaches is fine, but trying to run someone else off (no matter how) is totally out of line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,637 Posts
I also have heard of one of the murphy charter capts doing this along time ago, 10-12 years. At the time the guy was fired. I dont know of any legal action that was taken at the time. It does not suprise me though. So padre offshore capts are alot more protective of their "secrets" than any other place I have ever been before. I hope your friend takes it to the next level.
 

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
Joined
·
6,428 Posts
Farmer Jim said:
That is pure insanity. Once a round hits the water, there is no telling where a ricochet might go. Whoever was firing seriously endangered the people on the other boat. I have a hard time believing the shooter was one of the passengers. I do not believe loosing his license is anywhere near the appropriate action. Any and all involved need to have criminal charges filed against them.

Incidentally, I've made a jillion offshore trips over the past 40+ years and I've have had others fish where I was, and I've fished where other boats were. Courtesy and respect for the boats already on a spot should always be shown, but two hundred yards is not crowding someone. Heck, I've seen as many as 6-8 boats fishing the same spot and the only times I've seen tempers flare are when someone seriously crowds another boat and when someone tries to anchor in an area where the boats already there were drifting or trolling. The idea that a fishing spot in the open gulf is "mine" is ridiculous. Trying to keep someone from getting your numbers by cranking and running when another boat approaches is fine, but trying to run someone else off (no matter how) is totally out of line.
Well said Jim, at an angle of a hundred yards or so, a bullet will bounce off the water, even if it was a 22 short, still enough to injure someone for life, eye put out, or several other vital organs.... I hope the investegations are carried out, and whomever is responsible for this will never be able to grace the waters again.......
 

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
Okay. That's enough! Read my post. I WAS ON THE BOAT BEING ACCUSED OF FIRING THE GUN ON THE ALLEGED DAY!!!!!!!!!! This is total B.S.
 

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
Joined
·
6,428 Posts
2wahoo said:
Okay. That's enough! Read my post. I WAS ON THE BOAT BEING ACCUSED OF FIRING THE GUN ON THE ALLEGED DAY!!!!!!!!!! This is total B.S.
Ok, I'll read it, where is it ?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,637 Posts
I dont think they named the osprey, I was just stateing something that I knew had happened down there in the past. I like the murphys outfit down there personally.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top