2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was reading a down under board or web site and some were mentioning using sand bags for sinkers. ones you could waste with light line. interesting since sand is everywhere. i wonder what a tube type sock filled with sand would weigh. i'm even considering tapeing my forward drain holes on my yak and throwing in some sand in order to get better control through some of the bigger waves which like to surprize me. anyone ever tried something like that? happy fishing to all

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Been there and tried it and went back to big spider weights. Bricks, pieces of junk iron, sand bags, and cement blocks will all work, but when you get a hit that breaks the "breakaway line" and the fish drops it, your line is loose to drift anywhere (usually up to the beach) before the fish comes back for the next bite. With a surf weight your bait will stay right where the fish drops it, giving you more chances for a hookup if there is bait left on the hook. Also the heavy surf weight helps increase you hookup percentage if you use circle hooks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i don't think plugging and adding sand to the kayak would help at all. in still water the pluged holes would make the kayak sit higher but adding sand would do the opposite. and then in the surf the water coming in would not drain out making the kayak even heavier to paddle, and sit closer to the water allowing even more water in.

Justin

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If the idea is to lower the center of gravity of a yak. Then lead weights (dive weights) duct taped to the bottom of the yak inside storage hatches would be the way to go. If you don't have storage hatches, then tied to the floor inside the yak using the scupper holes to run the ties through.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was going to keep two holes at the back open. the yaks rated to 250 lbs. and i only wiegh 160 and seems like the yak tries to float too high with little resistence to keep bow down. i quess i better think this out some more. gotcha GD. but if i get a hit and he doesn't stay on , i'm going to check for bait before it has a chance to wash back.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I kayak a whole lot and i don't see what the advantage of getting the boat lower is. what kinda kayak do you have? when surfing waves in and the bow starts to submarine you can sometimes lean back to save it from planting in the sand and i think being lower in the water would make that worse.

if i understand it correctly your bow sits to high? and the stern to low? sorry i just need a little more info

justin

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
measure2times,

As a beginner who has learned everythign the hard way ... take the time to either make surfweights as instructed by others on this board. Or buy the ones KCon sells.

I've tried all kinds of things and here's what I've discovered. Kayaking baits is a pain. In order to catch fish the bait needs to stay put - not drift around and end up on the shore.

Last trip to High Island we made solid weights. They stayed out a good long time. Until I catch my first 5 footer. No more experimenting with crappy surf weights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts