2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an avid tournament fisherman and love the concept of more tournaments on the coast of Texas. More competition is obviously better for the angler and will raise the stakes for the host and ultimatley the pay-out for us "DIE HARDS". With that being said it appears we have four tournaments to choose from next year and while most can not fish all; the question is which ones do we fish?

I have fished all the tournament trails at least once and can argue the pro and cons on each but wonder if the latest one has what it takes to get off the ground at the minimum and grow on the upside.

My concerns start with the rules not being enforced (fishing at the ferry landing; oversized fish,etc)and when you do not have a polygraph you have no teeth to rules you have outlined. The venues have constantly been changed and most importantly the pay-out is not what is advertised. When first advertised a guranteed pay-out of 10k to first place and second through tenth was a minimum of 1k. The third tournament (ultimately decided the championship) second through tenth did not get paid the 1k but was given a free ride for the tournament of their choice next year. Not what was advertised and not what we expected and WILL THEIR BE A NEXT YEAR!

I have done quite well in this tournament series over the fall and want to see it succeed for the better of all tournament fishermen but at the same time I feel it is my duty to raise the concerns on behalf of all tournament fisherman. This sport is expensive and time consuming and with all the choices do we want to go this route after what I/we have seen and with all the choices that are proven?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Xtreme Tournament

The extreme tournament that was held in poc this weekend went off with out a hitch. We had 21 of the top redfish teams on the gulf coast show up to battle it out. Everyone there who fished thought Jen Green did a great job. Now since it is monday some peaple are trying to bash her. And you know who you r. Guys and gals I know that you can add so if you take 21 teams times 395 what do you get 8295. So 1705 dollars came out of her pocket for to fullfill the 10000 dollar first prize. If there would have been a full field then every one who placed in the top 10 would have got paided. But there wasn't. If you all can remeber xrt first tournament only add 18 teams on less and they did not pay out 10000 they payed what money they had from the teams they had. And if you think Jen green made anything off the tourny than you r wrong. She will loose money off the free entries that she gave out cause she has to cover that money too. We will make it next year and I predict the Xtreme tournament to be the top tourny on the coast. Cause we take the anglers words to heart. Cause if it was not for the anglers we would not have a tournament. So thank you to the great teams that showed up to help us move forward into 2010.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Any results posted yet from this weekend?

And team of the year??
The results have been posted on 2cool in 2 separate threads.

Congrats to all of the skilled anglers that worked so hard this season! Have a wonderful off season! Enjoy hunting! I look forward to seeing all of you in 2010! Thank you so much for a wonderful 2009 series.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a business like anything else and you do not always make money and if you did everyone would be doing it. Bottom line in business when you make gurantees and have guidelines and you do not stick too it you loose CREDIBILITY. What are going to be the reasons next year?

I do not see any bashing going on just straight facts. I do not understand FishGillz Rep comment about adding on 19 from the first tournament and there wasn't a complete pay-out??? Unless there was a tournament before Matagorda that I am not aware of, the first place team got paid 10k in cash and we heard them count it out and eventually second through tenth got their 1k. Confused on that one FishGillz.

This is a big boy/girl game and it takes money and credibility. Money may have been lost but it should have been 9k more. I personally like ownership and wish them the best but it is off to a shaky start. First time shame on you, second time shame on me and that won't happen here!!!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
It is a business like anything else and you do not always make money and if you did everyone would be doing it. Bottom line in business when you make gurantees and have guidelines and you do not stick too it you loose CREDIBILITY. What are going to be the reasons next year?

I do not see any bashing going on just straight facts. I do not understand FishGillz Rep comment about adding on 19 from the first tournament and there wasn't a complete pay-out??? Unless there was a tournament before Matagorda that I am not aware of, the first place team got paid 10k in cash and we heard them count it out and eventually second through tenth got their 1k. Confused on that one FishGillz.

This is a big boy/girl game and it takes money and credibility. Money may have been lost but it should have been 9k more. I personally like ownership and wish them the best but it is off to a shaky start. First time shame on you, second time shame on me and that won't happen here!!!
welcome to 2cool. :cheers: anything else you want to ***** about? :work: :headknock

·
Banned
762 Posts
I didn't see it as a bash either. I saw a guy who signed up, paid his money on the promise of guarentees and asked why it didn't pay out.
Simple questions. Answers were given.

But I'm thinking the same things he is. what type of guarentees for next year?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hopefully the XRT will survive I am lookig forward to fishing some of them. I have fished the Texas Redfish series the last few years and have had a blast fishing that series. But in 2010 Texas Redfish series goes from South Padre to pass New Orleans, an in my opinion that is just to spread out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I love it when people hide behind a fake moniker to come on here to gripe so people won't know who you really are.
Looks like you are taking issue with non-issues to me.
First, as to the payout - from xtremetournament.com:
The payout schedule is based upon a 50 boat field. However, the grand prize of $10,000 CASH is guaranteed
In this tourney, there wasn't a 50 boat field...pretty simple math really, and the 10k guaranteed prize was paid as advertised.

Second, how can a rule be enforced if none were broken? There was some chatter, as there usually is when a tournament is down south about a team that may or may not have fished the ferry landing. Basically just sideline talk, without a protest filed.
I'm pretty sure if one team actually saw another team fishing an illegal spot, they would file a protest.
Oversized fish weighed in?....please.

I am an avid tournament fisherman and love the concept of more tournaments on the coast of Texas. More competition is obviously better for the angler and will raise the stakes for the host and ultimatley the pay-out for us "DIE HARDS". With that being said it appears we have four tournaments to choose from next year and while most can not fish all; the question is which ones do we fish?

I have fished all the tournament trails at least once and can argue the pro and cons on each but wonder if the latest one has what it takes to get off the ground at the minimum and grow on the upside.

My concerns start with the rules not being enforced (fishing at the ferry landing; oversized fish,etc)and when you do not have a polygraph you have no teeth to rules you have outlined. The venues have constantly been changed and most importantly the pay-out is not what is advertised. When first advertised a guranteed pay-out of 10k to first place and second through tenth was a minimum of 1k. The third tournament (ultimately decided the championship) second through tenth did not get paid the 1k but was given a free ride for the tournament of their choice next year. Not what was advertised and not what we expected and WILL THEIR BE A NEXT YEAR!

I have done quite well in this tournament series over the fall and want to see it succeed for the better of all tournament fishermen but at the same time I feel it is my duty to raise the concerns on behalf of all tournament fisherman. This sport is expensive and time consuming and with all the choices do we want to go this route after what I/we have seen and with all the choices that are proven?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BENNY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS THAT 2-10TH WAS NEVER GURANTEED 1K...NEVER!!! IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN LOST BY SOME BECAUSE THERE WAS DIFFERENT WEBSITES. WHEN THE RULES CHANGE AS THE TOURNEY PROGRESSES IT IS EASY TO FORGET! IT IS PRINCIPAL BECAUSE THE MONEY DOESN'T EVEN COVER THE EXPENSE!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Look the guy is stating FACT! I know Jenn and consider her a friend and hope to see her succeed but guys quit bashing or going after anyone who simply states the facts. We all LIKE Jenn and hate to see her lose money but...

When Jenn announced XRT, the championship was a $15,000 payout and the 2nd - 10th place payout was guaranteed at all events. There was never a stipulation about the turnout dictating the payout!

FACT - if you do not belive me, believe Jenn. Go back and read her posts on this website. NOBODY deserves bashing for stating the facts!

Will, XRT succeed? Yes and Jenn will learn and grow in 2010.

Jenn, best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, I'm not bashing her. I take my hat off to her for even trying to do this. We figured no one would get paid when we saw the turn out. I like Jen. I think she is crazy and an absolute nut and enjoy being around her. I hope that she makes it, I really do. I'll be pulling for her to make it. I don't think she will be bigger than the Redfish Series in Texas. Jim and Scot have done a great job with that Series and if she wants to make it, she needs to follow their lead. We don't want these events trying to compete. Someone will ultimately lose and I don't like her chances if she has to compete. Nothing personal, just the facts. Not that she is not putting on a good event, I just don't think she can compete with some of the misfortunes that have happened to her this year.

All in all, she has a nice event, but she has things to fix that none of the anglers can help with. Having an event this time of year would be hard on anyone to get the numbers.

I do wish her and the XRT all the best of luck in getting everything together for next year. Last, we were not upset at all for not getting paid. We knew after leaving the captain's meeting that we were shooting for all or nothing. Anyone who thought differently should take a step back and look at the big picture. 21 boats x $400 = money out of her pockets.

·
Shoalwater 23' Cat
503 Posts
Bashing vs. Fact

I have not heard anyone bashing Jenn or the XRT. With the exception of the potential of someone fishing the Ferry landing and maybe getting credit for an oversized fish, all I heard were facts.

I am hoping Jenn and the XRT survive and flurish as much as anyone, she is a great person and has an unbelievable passion! As Thomas stated, alot of this is growing pains and I believe she will iron these outs. On the other hand, like RR stated this is a business and sometimes in business you lose money. That is very unfortunate, and you could consider these early losses as type of start up costs. That being said the rules and payouts DID change throughout the year and were not what was promised. Some of that was out of her control some was not. You can look through the threads regarding this series any draw your own conclusions. I do believe she was trying to make the best decisions based on the feedback she received from the anglers.

Regarding rules for next year, a polygraph is a must, as well as VERY clearly defined off-limit locations such as the Ferry Landing. Everyone knows tournaments anglers push the boundary of these rules all of the time. As well, I think it is very prudent to also have one weigh master, which should be the same for every event if possible. It is common knowledge everyone perception of 28 inches can vary slightly.

Regarding the payouts, it is critical they are defined up front regardless of the turnout. Not to say they cannot vary due to the turnout, but they must be defined and not changed from what was expected.

I plan on fishing many tournaments next year including some if not all of the XRT's, and can't wait to see everyone again!

As far as people coming on this board and hiding behind a fake name, isn't that the nature of a message board? I don't think anyone was hiding, only expressing their opinions, which this board was intended to be a forum for.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts