2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you boys use and how do you like them on deer sized game? I am thinking about switching from Core-lock to one of these 2 bullets in my .270 WIN. Which bullet do you like and why?:texasflag

·
Registered
257 Posts
ive shot the triple shock and had great luck with it. i shoot in 270 and 300wsm. shot an elk thru vitals and exited thru far shoulder but stayed insidde the hide. guide put bullet on scale and it retained over 98%. guide also said hes personally tested a ton of differnet bullets over the past few years and the barnes triple shock performed best. did caution me toclean barrel frequetnly. i have no idea why but he said they did dirty up the barrel more than most.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
ive shot the triple shock and had great luck with it. i shoot in 270 and 300wsm. shot an elk thru vitals and exited thru far shoulder but stayed insidde the hide. guide put bullet on scale and it retained over 98%. guide also said hes personally tested a ton of differnet bullets over the past few years and the barnes triple shock performed best. did caution me toclean barrel frequetnly. i have no idea why but he said they did dirty up the barrel more than most.
The original Barnes Bullets were real bad about leaving copper fouling. The Triple shocks are better, but, any time you use any of the lead free bullets, they are going to be harder and consequently leave more copper behind.

I would think cleaning every 40 rounds or so with a cleaner desinged to remove copper fouling would be adequate. Remember, those cleaners also take soe good metal with them, so, don't over do it.

I like Sweets, Barnes or KG for removing copper.

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
I would go with the MRX, Barnes newest offering. Has a silvex (Lead free) core in the base that makes it heavier without being longer thus allowing you to utilize more of your case capacity (If you reload). Otherwise the terminal performance is supposed to be the same as the TSX.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,573 Posts
If you've had no problems with the Core Lokt bullet why change to a more expensive one?

The Barnes is an excellent bullet, terrific but it comes with a price. The Core Lokt does a good job and isnt' as expensive.

To each his own.

TH

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Triple Shocks. I fired 2 at a cow elk 245 yards away from a .250 Ackley this season. First hit liver and both lung before exiting. She took 3 steps and stood there so I hit her again through both lungs bullet exited. She took another step and fell over. She was dead on her feet but if they're standing keep shooting. I have also used them on antelope whitetails and mule deer. I have recovered very few but all the ones I have recovered were in the 95% weight retention range.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
OK I am going to disagree

I have been on two African safaris using a 300WSM with Barnes TSX 180 grain bullets. I took about a dozen animals from Bushbuck to Eland size.

After all that I think the TSX does keep its weight, penetrates deep and all that, but (and this is heresy I know) I am not sure it imparts enough shock. Too many animals walked around that I think would not have with a lesser lead core bullet.

What I am saying is that on the scale from explosive varmint bullets on the left to deep penetrating solids on the right, the TSX is too far to the
right side of the scale for me for all but very large game (and on those I wished for a bigger caliber than 30 anyway).

For Whitetail Deer, I am certain I would stick with your original bullet and not switch to the TSX.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Johnboat,

I think there is definitely merit to what you are saying. Some say, and I think correctly, that if a bullet totally passes through the animal, that all of the energy is not imparted to that animal, and it does not experience the total "shock" that was available. On the other side, others say that having two holes to give a good blood trail is extremely important as well. The TSX is definitely way toward the "solid" side of that scale as you say, and I agree.

I also agree with the "use the right bullet for the right animal" thought. One other thing,however, and I experienced this Christmas 2008: if that "lesser bullet," ( i.e. core lokt or ballistic tip, etc.) which would ordinarily get good penetration and impart all of its energy on a non obstructed hit, if it hits bone it might disintegrate and not get sufficient penetration ( ala ballistic tips). All the shock would be imparted, but there might not be enough penetration. Whereas a premium type TSX will keep on going, and give the desired penetration. Last Chrismas my son shot a spike with his 7mm-08 shooting handloaded 120 gr bt's and a 65 yard shot. He made what turned out to be a perfect hit, the deer hunched at the hit, and ran off, and we saw exactly where he entered the trees for tracking him. We went to that spot and searched for 45 minutes in pretty much every direction, and never found a speck of blood. The only reason I found the deer was because I checked out the "button hook" which deer often do when wounded- meaning they run a hook back to where they came from originally and we found him not 15 yards from where he had been shot. Inside was totally destroyed but something kept that bullet from exiting- no exit hole. Wasn't able to do a full autopsy because of darkness and being in a hurry, but there's a situation in which I would have loved to have had that second/larger hole.

This Thanksgiving My son shot a doe with the same 7mm-08 shooting 120 gr TSX's on a 105 yard shot. The hit was a little high, and it went through ribs on the on -side, totally through the bottom third of the spine, and through ribs, and shoulder on the offside, and as far as I know is still going. It obviously dropped on the spot because of the spine and the shock. I'm not so sure that a core lokt or ballistic tip would have made it past the spine. It might not have needed to, however....

I once attended an archery conclave in New Mexico where a very well known outdoor writer, photographer, hunter named Judd Cooney was asked: "Would you rather have a 4- 6 blade broadhead hole through one lung, or a two bladed broadhead through both lungs ( this was when the multi bladed broadhead craze really started in archery). His answer was, "I would rather have a pencil hole through BOTH lungs, than an 8 bladed hole through one lung."

THE "I'M ENJOYING THIS ONE" JAMMER

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Good post Jammer, but

I think the good ole core lokt is a proven bullet for deer....and thats what the original poster is using. Not sure you can say the same about the Nosler Ballistic tip....it apparently behaves like a varmint bullet, at least the original non bonded version. I have heard some trophy deer outfitters outright banned the ballistic tip. I have some that I use for doe neck shots and they work great for that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to thank everyone for their imput it is really helping me out. The reason that I am looking into switching is that I have started shooting deer right behind the sholder to try and perserve as much meat as possible. In my younger years I would knock out the front sholders no questions asked and didn't care about how much destruction that did. I now hunt in the hill country and occassionally get a shot at an axis or two I want something that will present a better blood trail on bigger game. In a nut shell I am tired of shooting deer with core locks and having to trail with no blood except where the deer fell. I am also a fan of the deer falling where they stand when I pull the trigger and for the last few years with core lock that has not been happening.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I want to thank everyone for their imput it is really helping me out. The reason that I am looking into switching is that I have started shooting deer right behind the sholder to try and perserve as much meat as possible. In my younger years I would knock out the front sholders no questions asked and didn't care about how much destruction that did. I now hunt in the hill country and occassionally get a shot at an axis or two I want something that will present a better blood trail on bigger game. In a nut shell I am tired of shooting deer with core locks and having to trail with no blood except where the deer fell. I am also a fan of the deer falling where they stand when I pull the trigger and for the last few years with core lock that has not been happening.
Are you loading your own or buying factory ammo? You can go up in bore size (not a bad way to get a consistently larger exit). You could go with a bonded soft like the Accubond, North Fork, or one of the others. You could also try the Partition (it will separate at high enough velocities).

I have not used the TSX but in the old style X at high enough velocities it would sometimes shed petals so a large exit was not guaranteed. Matching the velocity to the bullet is one way to get something that will expand yet hold together and at the right speed still exit.

I am surprised that you are not getting exits when shooting behind the shoulder. Have you tried going up in bullet weight to the next-heavier for caliber bullet?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am buying factory. I am always getting exit wounds it is just that nothing is bleeding except where thay fall. The only way that I have been able to recover game lately is simply by seeing them fall or walking in the general direction that they went in to the brush. I mean even when there lungs and heart are jello, these are not gut shots and well within 150 yards. I have always been faithful to my remington products but a quick clean, ethical kill means more to me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts